happy hour + vanilla rooibos tea latte w/ warm spices

vegan vanilla rooibos tea latte with warm spices - The First Messpin it!
Happy weekend! I’ve got a warm, lightly spiced, caffeine-free mug of coziness to set the tone. We kinda went wild with some minor house repairs, painting, installs, and a top-to-bottom clean last weekend, so we’re taking it eeeeaaaaasy for this one. We’re hopping over to ‘Merica for an afternoon to pick up a few things–mostly vegan mayo, my fave Trader Joe’s serrano salsa, and other junky-but-not-totally-junky kinda foods. But also to source some decent, natural sunscreen for our Hawaii trip because I always have problems with that on our side of the border (go figure). Do any of you have a go-to brand? Sunday is gonna be spent snacking and watching a certain sporting event. I’m planning on making some epic vegan pizza with tons of olives, hot peppers, and pine nut parmesan, hummus and veggies, and maaaaaybe some of that buffalo-sauced cauliflower that everyone keeps going on about. Go team! ;) xo

While we’re on the subject of Trader Joe’s, some silly non-strategies for making the most of your shopping trips there.

More love for pulses. A saviour to your health AND the land we’re here to look after. Have you taken the Pulse Pledge yet? :)

Some inspiration to get your (healthy! vegetarian!) Superbowl snacking on HERE + HERE. Also: HEH.

Winter blues?

“You know the enemy of fast? Quality. Because real quality takes time.” Do you ever think your life is too fast?

This episode of the Rich Roll podcast was a pretty wild ride. Khalil Rafati is the founder of Sunlife Organics, but prior to that, he 150% turned his life around. Inspiring.

Adventures and misadventures in veganism. Read the comments with this one! So good.

Is the “Everything in moderation” mantra all wrong?

We watched Babe the other night (cried like a baby obviously–the part where he says “I want my mom” = the ugliest crying humanly imaginable). I started following this Instagram account the next day and now, adopting a brood of pigs doesn’t seem like such a faraway dream.

“The stories are so real and the stuff looks so creepy.” A day in the life of a magician and seance medium in residency.

Is souping really the new juicing? I’m not a cleanse or detox type, but I feel like I could get down with this if I had to.

Ben & Jerry’s goes vegan for 4 flavours! I’m still pretty devoted to my salted caramel cluster from So Delicious, but obviously this means great things for the plant-based (ice cream-loving) community.

The Rick Bayless YouTube channel is so soothing to watch. Plus garden greens tacos!

Irresistibly cute otter video alert.

Crown chakra smoothie. Slurp down some transcendence ;)

Some recent interviews I did here, here and here.

Serves: 1
Notes: Rooibos is my favourite variety of tea. It’s naturally sweet, caffeine-free, and apparently it helps with iron absorption too, which can never hurt for the plant-inclined. Because of the natural sweetness and a slight nutty edge, it makes a perfect latte. I do this up with coconut milk, warm spices and extra vanilla (in addition to the vanilla imbued rooibos that I start with). It’s so cozy and comforting to sip.

1 vanilla rooibos tea bag (I get this one)
6 oz boiling water
6 oz unsweetened plant-based milk (I like this one)
1 pitted Medjool date
1 teaspoon coconut butter/oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon + extra for dusting
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
freshly grated nutmeg, to taste

In your serving mug, brew the rooibos tea in the boiling water for at least 3 minutes.

In a small saucepan over medium, bring the plant milk, date, coconut butter, cinnamon, and vanilla extract to a light boil. Carefully transfer the milk mixture to your blender and blitz on high for 20 seconds or so.

Pour the frothy warm milk mixture over the tea. Sprinkle a little cinnamon and nutmeg over the top. You can leave the teabag in or take it out. Rooibos only gets better with longer steeping time.

• Summer06/02/2016 - 10:29 am

This looks simple and nice ♥

• Jessica06/02/2016 - 10:32 am

Re: sunscreen, I love Supergoop!ReplyCancel

• Laura06/02/2016 - 7:49 pm

The name alone is just outstanding ;)

• KayN07/02/2016 - 2:26 pm

I was going to make the same recommendation! Supergoop Mineral Sunscreen SPF 40 is my daily facial sunblock and it’s fabulous (goes on sheer even on a dark complexion, no smell, not sticky, no breakouts) and they also make a more waterproof body formula!ReplyCancel

• Rachel06/02/2016 - 11:29 am

I second supergoop. The mineral/sensitive skin formulation is what I use. I bought mine online though; I haven’t seen it in stores.

I just wanted to give you a shoutout, Laura! I’m not vegan, but your blog is helping me (and my man, by proxy) eat a more plan based diet and I’m loving it! I especially love your most accessible, weeknight-type meals. And your peanut buttery/green smoothie has been on repeat. Cheers!ReplyCancel

• Laura06/02/2016 - 7:38 pm

Thanks so much, Rachel! So glad that you’re enjoying the recipes and that they’re helping you guys eat more plant-based. The weeknight meals are my favourite, too :)

• Meghan06/02/2016 - 11:37 am

Thanks for the great recipe! Id recommend Arbonne sunscreen! I love mine! It’s vegan and uses zinc instead of a ton of parables and rubs in better than any sunscreen I’ve ever had. It’s not sold in stores, their website is http://www.arbonne.com. (Everything from Arbonne is vegan and cruelty free!)ReplyCancel

• Laura06/02/2016 - 7:40 pm

I know so many people that love Arbonne products! Thanks Meghan ;)

• Jessie Snyder | Faring Well06/02/2016 - 12:03 pm

Ah love those interviews Laura! “I need a teenager to hang out with me and show me the ropes” on snapchat cracked me up (**laughing crying emoji**) I feel the same way. And HAWAII. So so stoked for you girl! You deserve some R&R. Have a chill weekend and enjoy your snacks this Sunday! xoReplyCancel

• Jessie Snyder | Faring Well06/02/2016 - 12:04 pm

Ps. Sunscreen : Alba all the way – the tropical Hawaiin one ;)ReplyCancel

• Laura06/02/2016 - 7:41 pm

Thanks lady. Hope you have a great weekend too! ;) ;)
      xo LReplyCancel

• Julie06/02/2016 - 12:52 pm

What do you use the water for? Did I misread?ReplyCancel

• Carol Cormier06/02/2016 - 2:05 pm

I checked out Rick Bayless’ videos and my husband has been watching them all morning. I think he’s gearing up to do a family taco Sunday lunch soon.ReplyCancel

• Laura06/02/2016 - 7:44 pm

Hope the Rick Bayless binge-watching results in some good eats for you! You really can’t go wrong with his recipes :)

• Heather06/02/2016 - 2:57 pm

I can’t wait to try this tea. I also am loving your “happy hour” posts. Thank you so much. Your pictures alone make me smile☕️ReplyCancel

• shanna mallon06/02/2016 - 3:41 pm

mmm I love me a good tea latte. made this first thing this morning. thanks for the tip!ReplyCancel

• Laura06/02/2016 - 7:45 pm

They are my favourite thing right now. Pretty flattered that you made it :D
      xo LReplyCancel

• Liberty | Homespun Capers06/02/2016 - 5:39 pm

Hey Laura!
    Vanilla rooibos is one of my favourite teas but I’ve never thought you have it as a latte. Thank you, gonna try this soon!

Also – love your list posts, always lots of good reads
    Xx LibertyReplyCancel

• Laura06/02/2016 - 7:47 pm

Thanks so much, Liberty! Glad that you’re into the link posts too :D

• lynn @ the actor's diet07/02/2016 - 1:37 am

Rooibos is one of those words I’m embarrassed to say out loud because I never pronounce it right. But I do love it so!ReplyCancel

• genevieve @ gratitude & greens07/02/2016 - 11:45 am

Laura! This tea latte sounds so lush! That everything in moderation article is so interesting, it definitely pokes a hole in my cookie loving mentality, haha. Happy Sunday! <3ReplyCancel

• Bella08/02/2016 - 2:52 am

I am a diehard devotee of Avasol sunblock. Make sure you get the vegan version though (sans emu oil). Completely natural and biodegradable (won’t kill the reef!). I live in Hawaii, spend hours surfing, and this is the best stuff I’ve found. Have a wonderful time!ReplyCancel

• Fabienne09/02/2016 - 5:03 pm

Love your mouthwatering recipes!♡ How can one person be so talented? I really like the way how you take your photos and how you write I can spend hours reading your blog. Thanks for the great inspiration (:
    Love F&MReplyCancel

• Maria11/02/2016 - 8:49 am

I discover your blog now, and I love it ;)
    your logo is so cute!ReplyCancel

• Carolyn11/02/2016 - 9:06 am

I’m loving these posts!!! so many interesting links!!! thank you for all you do and create!!1ReplyCancel

• […] house smell incredible and it tastes amazing paired with warm turmeric milk or even a home-made tea latte! If you want to be extra wild you could probably dunk this bad boy in your coffee, which I plan on […]ReplyCancel

• Kate19/02/2016 - 8:11 am

I wish it was afternoon already so I could make one of these lovely drinks. I too love the Rick Bayless Youtube channel!! Thanks for the great recipe.ReplyCancel

• Rae16/04/2016 - 2:30 pm

I am so excited to create this! I’m wondering what a good caffeine tea replacement would be for those mornings that I need a pick-me-up?ReplyCancel

• Laura17/04/2016 - 7:54 am

Hi Rae, I think lots of different options would be great here: a malty black tea like Assam or a milky oolong would be my two first choices.

• Rae27/04/2016 - 12:49 pm

Thanks so much! I ended up using Assam and it was delicious!ReplyCancel

• […] all about quality ingredients for the rest on this recipe gotten off Laura Wright’s The First Mess blog. I was lucky enough to have a recent trip to Abu Dhabi where I bought incredible cinnamon, coconut […]ReplyCancel