A WORD + GINGER MAJIK TODDY

Ginger Majik Toddy - The First Messpin it!Ginger Majik Toddy - The First Messpin it!
When you come to this site, I show you who I am. Sometimes it’s only a certain mood in a photo and a notation that I’m a little tired that week. Other times, I open up a little too much to the point of self indulgence. And on the odd occasion, I get paid by a third party to write about a recipe here in a way that only I can. This site is part of a complicated web of things that you could call “a job.” But like all things that are put on the internet by a person that people can identify with and go to for questions/commentary, it’s also an extension of my worldview. I attribute my platform to my human experience first, not my ability to craft an entity with a developed sense of brand awareness, or whatever.

If you have a food blog, a sports podcast, a wildly popular gardening Instagram account, or some other area of expertise manifest as a useful destination online, it’s fair to say that much of your self is present in the expression. There is conscious awareness of the world at large in every recipe, highlight reel, and snapshot of a tea cup on rumpled bedsheets. On the rare occasion that someone with a platform tries to show you their heart, telling them to “Stick to sports/food/whatever” seems a willfully ignorant deflection. The internet and social media weave our worlds together, however they collide, and whether we like it or not.

So, everything is political. Maybe you’d argue that, ideally, a food site gives you a break from the forceful deluge of divisive politics that are ever-present right now. I’d like a break too, but this moment is too critical. I dread checking my phone in the morning for fear of what hateful mindset has propagated further. When people of privilege fear for their rights merely because those same rights are granted to someone else, division ushers itself in without even the flimsiest of barriers. That protective mindset, one of “other”ness, has become difficult to sidestep.

I’m honestly not anticipating confrontational comments/messages here, but I am open to them when communicated in a way that isn’t dismissive or overtly antagonistic. If you are annoyed by this post, I would (with nothing but light and kindness) encourage you to examine how fortunate you are to be in that position.

So what am I getting at? I always hope for peace, compassion, unity with cognizance of our differences, and understanding when possible. I think you could gather all of that. This is a time for being direct though. I don’t make efforts to “try and understand” hate speech, sexism, or xenophobia. I refuse to meet that garbage halfway. To go on in silence for the sake of some kind of image seemed like a particularly chilling form of complacency.

Listening and channeling my efforts in the most productive of ways is my priority right now. I thank the universe that I have the right to respond like this. Next time I post here, I’ll probably just be talking about a recipe or life in the manner that I always do. I wanted you, as a person in my community that I appreciate, to understand exactly where my head is at right now though. I don’t let fear or hatred into my heart if I can help it. I hope that one day we will all be on that same page. That hope has to be followed up with work that aims straight at what we know to be right. Understanding and communication is where we start.

Ginger Majik Toddy - The First Messpin it!
GINGER MAJIK TODDY RECIPE
SERVES: 1-2
NOTES: Have you tried Blue Majik? The pigment is out of this world–so true blue! This stuff is spirulina derived, so you can kind of get a vibe on the taste just from that factoid alone. It’s oceanic/algae-ish but! When mixed up into smoothies and flavourful toddies like this, it goes undetected AND you get all the benefits/pretty colour. This has been my afternoon pick-me-up of choice when I’m at home these days. It gives me a proper boost with a bit of a soothing effect, too.

1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
2 teaspoons virgin coconut oil
1/4-3/4 teaspoon Blue Majik powder (or other powdered greens that you’re into)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
sweetener, to taste (maple syrup, honey, stevia etc)
1 1/4 cups boiling water
1 teaspoon tocotrienols (Obviously this one is optional, but it does make the drink slightly creamy)

In an high-speed blender, combine the ginger, coconut oil, blue majik, lemon juice, sweetener, water, and tocotrienols, if using. Blend the mixture on high for 30 seconds. Pour the toddy into a mug and enjoy with an extra slice of lemon if you like.

• Meredith | Pollinate Journal02/02/2017 - 9:21 pm

Laura, thank you so much for sharing this and articulating it so beautifully. I’m not sure whether or not you know who I am, but we have shared a few exchanges on Instagram (I’ve tagged you in a handful of your recipes I’ve made over the years and shared a bunch of LA recs with you for your upcoming trip—including Elf in Echo Park, if that rings a bell!). This post resonates with me so deeply, particularly because I just wrote today about the exact same conundrum on my blog: how these spaces are political because they are personal and how impossible it is to turn away from the state of the world, even though our blogs are not “designated” for such commentary. Thank you for sharing your truth with us in this space. Hope you make it to the Bay Area during your book tour, it would be amazing to meet you! <3ReplyCancel

• Kris02/02/2017 - 9:54 pm

Beautiful post! We’re all human and it’s why I enjoy your site — your humanity (and recipes too!) Advocating for better things — whether it’s an idea or outlook — is so essential for understanding each other. When you open yourself, you encourage others to as well and with these open minds and hearts the world can only be (and get better). My question is: how can people not acknowledge the current state of the world? How can we turn a blind eye? The answer is we can’t but it takes courage be a voice. Thank you Laura for being a voice here! (ps I hope you enjoy your trip to LA!)ReplyCancel

• Christina02/02/2017 - 10:10 pm

You made Bantha milk!
    As for the other, the people who are most likely to complain about it are those who refuse to believe there is anything to be upset about or those who don’t want to acknowledge it. Either way, too bad, it’s real and needs to be discussed.ReplyCancel

• Abby11/02/2017 - 8:12 pm

Bantha milk! That’s exactly what I thought when I saw it too! Awesome ReplyCancel

• Shannon02/02/2017 - 10:24 pm

Hi Laura,
    Thank you so much for this post! It feels so honest and comes from such a humble and beautiful place. I’m glad you feel as though you can talk about things without having to hide behind a facade, not only for your sake, but for me as a reader it helps to break through the distance of being online and not in person. You’re not just someone who posts recipes online. You are a complex human being with a story and opinions, and it is touching as a reader to be let in on your thoughts. Thanks again.ReplyCancel

• Teri Giese03/02/2017 - 2:43 am

Being a crazy old foodie lady,that reads at LEAST 500 blogs DAILY;(is my hobby,lol).My faves are always the REAL people.My life can be totally screwed at times,and I am 55 years old,share way too much,( as nothing really embarrasses me).As well as,having gained a shitload of wisdom,(oops);in my years.So,real is always best,and politics,religion,etc.are not taboo to me.Love to chat about such “WRONG”,topics with cool people over a good meal and a grand glass of wine.!!BRING IT!!ReplyCancel

• Literally food for thought. Beautifully written. I still (want to) believe that even in hateful times, people will be brought together to stand up for their rights and the right of their fellow residents. We should not give up.ReplyCancel

• Rosie03/02/2017 - 4:35 am

I think it need to be said Laura, and readers who are true readers (and not just searching for follows or likes in return) will stick with you. Personally, it was nice to see a post written in a different tone. That’s why people read blogs and keep coming back – because they’re unique. Don’t change what you’re doing. The haters will hate, and nothing will annoy them more than showing love in return :)ReplyCancel

• Sarah03/02/2017 - 5:29 am

Thank you for your post. It is strong and fair and necessary to hear in times like these.ReplyCancel

• Pat03/02/2017 - 7:13 am

I applaud your heartfelt and honest post. We can’t compartmentalize our lives or ourselves into tidy little boxes. We’re all a part of the world that surrounds us and need to stand for our beliefs.ReplyCancel

• MiaSoFLUSA03/02/2017 - 7:21 am

So beautifully stated… I appreciate youReplyCancel

• Shannon03/02/2017 - 7:40 am

Yasss! Food, of all things, is very political. Thank you for your whip smart words as usual.ReplyCancel

• beverley03/02/2017 - 7:50 am

Beautifully expressed.ReplyCancel

• Betsy03/02/2017 - 8:22 am

You’re work, recipes, instagram and blog have always intimated a thoughtful and inclusive worldview. That underlying tone maybe why I’ve always been so drawn to your work, but it was wonderful to see it expressed here this morning. We need voices like yours now more than ever. Beautiful post.ReplyCancel

• nina03/02/2017 - 8:22 am

I read many blogs (still!) and rarely take the time to comment anymore. However, your eloquent words and insight are worth commenting on. Thanks for expressing exactly what I am feeling right now. As a teacher in a middle school, it is hard to keep my opinions to myself. But as an art teacher with a very impressionable group of 7th graders, I can speak through the art that I put up in my room (Penelope Dallaghan’s wonderful flags of inclusion PDF art that she sells in her Etsy shop) and a fantastic poster that I hope to hang from pickwickindependent press. I can also speak through my actions and try my best to show the kindness and compassion that “not my president” is showing.

PS pre-ordered your cookbook and CANNOT wait to get it! :)ReplyCancel

• Anja03/02/2017 - 8:36 am

I love this post. You write beautifully. Thank you for sharing.ReplyCancel

• Felice Shays03/02/2017 - 8:59 am

When the hate the fear the repition of history st our doorstep doesn’t knock me off my feet, leaving me gasping for air, I’m on those feet, in the street and working working.
    Thank you for goodness in my belly and oxygen in my lungs.ReplyCancel

• Abby03/02/2017 - 9:39 am

Very well said!ReplyCancel

• Sara @ Cake Over Steak03/02/2017 - 9:44 am

Thank you for writing this. I couldn’t agree more.ReplyCancel

• Abby @ Heart of a Baker03/02/2017 - 9:52 am

I couldn’t agree with you more. I understand the whole ‘stick to xyz’ argument, but if we have a platform and a space to use, why not use it? It’s easy to ignore what is happening in the world, but harder to acknowledge it and face the feelings that are bubbling to the surface. I adore the way you wrote about this and brough it to the forefront, as I wrote one small paragraph and then feared the ‘get over it’ comments (that thankfully never came). Hugs and love to you friend. xoReplyCancel

• M Lee03/02/2017 - 9:55 am

Dear Laura, Thank you so much for this post and for your articulate words. Always kind and graceful* Wish you a great day and Love from PortugalReplyCancel

• Julie03/02/2017 - 10:02 am

Beautiful post! Thank you!ReplyCancel

• Meg | Meg is Well03/02/2017 - 10:08 am

Thank you so much for sharing. It’s so complicated sometimes participating in a job where an “image” is some (or large) part of your success. I hate that I sometimes question letting my personal world view into recipes and images but in the end the answer is simple and no truer words have been spoken as to “go on in silence for the sake of some kind of image seemed like a particularly chilling form of complacency.” Thanks for reminding me to just be myself and meet that garbage directly.ReplyCancel

• Dot the Photog03/02/2017 - 10:11 am

This is a wonderful piece…normally, (sorry) I skim through your post to get to the recipe, but this one stopped me in my tracks and I gave it not just one, but two, rereads. The privilege piece is what keeps coming up for me…I’m not wealthy, by any means, but I’m a retired educator, safe and secure in my little home in the woods and can’t imagine the fear that lives in the hearts and minds of those being targeted by this new administration. Thank you for articulating that better than I ever could…and keep these yummy recipes coming. :) xoReplyCancel

• deb03/02/2017 - 10:25 am

Well said!
    …and I love your blog and the recipes rock :)ReplyCancel

• Beccy03/02/2017 - 10:52 am

Thank you for sharing this. If I remember correctly, you live right across the lake from me (I live in Buffalo). As a NY state resident I’m pretty protected from a lot of the BS that is happening, but as an LGBTQI member, a woman, a science graduate student, and a human dating an immigrant from a muslim-majority country, I am f-ing terrified.ReplyCancel

• Leslie03/02/2017 - 11:19 am

Brava! I have not commented here before, although I enjoy this site and your Instagram pictures quite a bit. It has become harder and harder in the past few months to enjoy blogs that stick strictly to topic, ignoring the obvious elephant in the room. I am very glad that you have stated your views and encourage you to continue – you have a strong, clear voice that needs to be heard in times like these.ReplyCancel

• Everything is political. Everything. There’s no escaping from that, and their shouldn’t be. Politics, both global and local, influence everything from the price of avocados to if our “organic” food is actually organic to how we get our coffee to what cuisines are elevated (French, Japanese, etc.) and which are relegated to fast food status (Mexican, Chinese, etc.). And it always has been that way. I understand there are people whose impulse is to want a place away from politics, but if such a place exists (and I don’t think it does), food is not that place. Thank you for speaking out so kindly and eloquently about speaking out.

Also, never heard of blue milk before but OMG that color.ReplyCancel

• Kris03/02/2017 - 11:25 am

Thanks for writing this, Laura. You’re absolutely right that now is not the time for complacency. Silence contributes to the hateful rhetoric and action in the world, so I admire your courage.ReplyCancel

• Sarah | Well and Full03/02/2017 - 11:25 am

THANK YOU for speaking out Laura. I saw recently that Emily of This Rawsome Vegan Life had posted a political article on her Facebook page and the comments were just horrible. I thought vegans were supposed to be compassionate…? But there was virtually NO compassion for our current political situation or for Emily herself. Seeing that backlash was so disheartening. But after reading this post and the comments here, I feel like my hope is renewed. Again – THANK YOU for using your voice. You’re absolutely right – this moment is too critical. Sending so many hugs <3ReplyCancel

• Maria03/02/2017 - 11:29 am

Now more than ever I look to the blogs I read to acknowledge what’s going on in the world. The blogs that go about business as usual without mentioning the crisis going on right now loses a lot of my respect. I understand the notion that some people want to protect their readership by not making waves and staying neutral – but now is not the time to be silent. As Desmond Tutu said, “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”
    Thank you for being human and standing up for what’s right.

xo,
    Maria AnneReplyCancel

• Nicolette03/02/2017 - 1:29 pm

Well put.ReplyCancel

• Sarah | One Window Kitchen03/02/2017 - 1:35 pm

Laura, thank you for this beautiful post. Politics are important, and I appreciate that you use your platform openly and honestly. That said, I don’t even think you’re being political, because what’s going on right now is– quite objectively– pure craziness. And it’s on almost everyone’s minds. I too am so beyond sick of hearing excuses for racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, etc, and of the complete disregard of facts. I wish I could say that I don’t harbor hatred or fear in my heart, but I can’t tell you how many times a day I scream “I f***ing hate [you know who]!” and cry and clench my fists and teeth. We can’t ignore it. It’s there and it’s big. Cheers to putting out truth and good vibes and one gorgeous looking drink. <3ReplyCancel

• Ashley03/02/2017 - 1:41 pm

I believe it is important that–at the same time that we give no passes to hatred or bigotry, that we do not meet garbage halfway–we also recognize that those who are bigoted, those who hate, have been shaped by their experiences, just as those who live their lives through compassion and grace have been shaped by their experiences. The truest act of compassion is to extend it even to those who utterly lack compassion themselves. Often, those are the ones who need it most.

Stay sparkly, and spread that shine.ReplyCancel

• Michelle Geil03/02/2017 - 1:48 pm

Thank you, Laura. Like all the other lovely posts in support of you and your worldview, I completely agree that this is a time for standing up, speaking our truth, and being kind to one another. And that includes not staying silent when actions that we know to be wrong are being taken. We are creating a better world every day with our voices, or words, and our actions of light and love. Speaking of love, this blue drink is gorgeous, I can’t wait to try it (-:ReplyCancel

• Shauna @ Linden and Lavender03/02/2017 - 3:19 pm

A well-written and thoughtful post, Laura. Thank you for going out-on-a-limb to express our controversial times. I imagine that you may have been hesitant at first to post it on social media but I think your actions are so important and very much appreciated. It is important to create constructive conversation. Have a wonderful weekend, ShaunaReplyCancel

• Erika Jackson03/02/2017 - 3:54 pm

Yes, absolutely yes! Thank you for your bravery. As the lovely Dr. Martin Luther King said “All of us are on trial in this troubled hour”ReplyCancel

• jaime03/02/2017 - 5:02 pm

you have so pureply articulated something that really needed to be heard. you’re really good at that, yaknow. love and light to you.ReplyCancel

• Marie03/02/2017 - 5:08 pm

I noticed how a lot of the blogs I follow feel the need to justify their decision to mention politics on their blog. Personally, I don’t have any kind of problem with any type of blog talking about politics. Seconf, it’s your blog, do as you wish.ReplyCancel

• Dianne03/02/2017 - 5:16 pm

Beautifully said. Food IS polictical – especailly when some live in a world of none and some plenty.ReplyCancel

• Heidi03/02/2017 - 7:52 pm

Well said, thank you. :)ReplyCancel

• Tori03/02/2017 - 7:55 pm

Wow. These sentences summarize what’s happening in parts of the western world right now so succinctly and perfectly. “When people of privilege fear for their rights merely because those same rights are granted to someone else, division ushers itself in without even the flimsiest of barriers. That protective mindset, one of “other”ness, has become difficult to sidestep.” Thank you for sharing your beautiful writing and your heart with us.ReplyCancel

• Catherine03/02/2017 - 10:10 pm

I appreciate this post so much – thank you. I agree that it’s extremely difficult to see ALL the damage that is being done on a daily basis. And that those who thrive on hate are feeling so empowered. It does make me feel a little better to know there are others out there who live with kindness and compassion. I have to believe we are more alike than different, but the current divisive tone, full of “alternative facts” (that that’s even a thing!?!) and based on greed and fear, makes it quite difficult. Your writing (and the comments from other readers) is a welcome respite.ReplyCancel

• Suzan03/02/2017 - 11:18 pm

Thank you Laura! Your words are necessary and appreciated. Every blog/media post that I read promoting human decency shows me that there is still some hope. These days when I visit a blog that doesn’t allude to current events, I often wonder if perhaps its because the blogger doesn’t think things are that bad after all, which is a very depressing thought.ReplyCancel

• Lynn04/02/2017 - 2:06 am

❤️❤️❤️ So beautifully put.ReplyCancel

• Maya | Spice + Sprout04/02/2017 - 11:36 am

Thank you for this, Laura. I really feel like anyone with a platform has an obligation to speak out, especially if they are in a position of privilege. I think it is so so important, and you articulated everything so well. Lots of love and hugs <3ReplyCancel

• Nancy04/02/2017 - 1:00 pm

Laura-After reading your post and some of the comments I have to say (as other readers expressed too) that it’s refreshing to know that the unease that we are all feeling is communal. We are not alone in hoping that fairness, integrity, and inclusiveness will return to our normal way of being. I agree, it’s not a time to be silent and complacency almost feels criminal right now. Thank you for your wonderful blog, your delicious recipes, and for your views. Love and Light to All!ReplyCancel

• SARAH04/02/2017 - 2:25 pm

Thank you.ReplyCancel

• Caroline04/02/2017 - 3:40 pm

Never apologize for being political; in fact, unfortunately, “we” have still not raised our voice loud & strong enough. Coming from a country that has caused a catastrophy remaining silent (Germany) and a family that das been defeated by this silence (Jewish), I applaud each and every one who uses their personal platform to stand up and shout out “It’s enough”. I myself make a living talking about food and all I want to do is huddle in my kitchen with my family and hide behind brownies. But we cannot, for how am I going to explain to my son that I kept quiet while my core values were under deadly attack? We have to stand our ground, head up high, so that one day we can go back to the comfort of cooking – knowing that wise and kind women and men (and all inbetween) take care of the politics beyond our backyard.ReplyCancel

• Carolyn04/02/2017 - 3:42 pm

Dear Laura,
    Thank you for posting your thoughts and showing and sharing your heart in this crazy moment. I feel like it’s so essential right now to say where we stand and to stand firmly in the name of love, unity and all that’s good in the world. I love reading your blog and your recipes have brought me a lot of happiness (especially the chamomile/lavender drink you posted recently!). Thank you thank you thank you!
    -CarolynReplyCancel

• Such a wonderful post! I think it’s so important to use your voice when it really is so critical–so thank you for being brave enough to share your opinion and your worldview, even if it does make you vulnerable to criticism. Also, this toddy is just glorious. I love Blue Majik, it really is stunning. xxReplyCancel

• Lacey05/02/2017 - 9:28 am
  • Gustavo Woltmann05/02/2017 - 3:25 pm

It is a beautiful post. Thank you so much for sharing.

– Gustavo WoltmannReplyCancel

• Becky Roztocil06/02/2017 - 9:51 am

I’ve never left a comment before, although I do so enjoy reading your thoughts. You have a lovely way with words and self-expression. This post was perfect. I am so weary of unkindness, and you expressed everything that is in my heart. Thank you.ReplyCancel

• christine06/02/2017 - 7:54 pm

Thank for you this. You’ve articulated this so well and I really appreciate you and the space, thoughts, and content you create here xoReplyCancel

• Connie06/02/2017 - 8:08 pm

Speaking for myself, the ONLY good thing to come out of all of this is the feeling of connection I now have with so many good people, you among them. And, by the way, I am using your “Instant Calm Latte” with lavender to calm me on those evenings when it feels tough to get to that calm place, so thank you!ReplyCancel

• Brittany07/02/2017 - 5:08 pm

Eloquently written. :) Thank you.ReplyCancel

• […] Laura’s post really resonated with me. (Psst. You can also pre-order her book here.) […]ReplyCancel

• Alex12/02/2017 - 11:39 am

Beautifully said, and kudos to you for going on out a limb and speaking out for your beliefs <3ReplyCancel

• Dear Laura,
    I don’t know why I’m only reading this now, but I just wanted to say that your voice is beautiful and necessary, and that this is one eloquently written and highly appreciated post. There is not a single blog I read solely for the recipes or pretty photos. The person behind it is always at the center, and I’m happy to have seen so many positive and powerful people emerge over the past couple of weeks. Thank you for being a part of that. xReplyCancel