This creamy, vegan coconut blood orange lassi features a warm sprinkle of cardamom and a little bit of natural sweetness from dates.
Another week, another tasty sip, and another list of things I read/enjoyed/thought about. I think I’m finally starting to dip into some January blahs. The appeal of cozying has dulled a touch and I kinda just want to go outside and play in the dirt a bit.
This creeping feeling could possibly explain why I spontaneously jumped on a Winter seat sale for Hawaii flights last week while casually browsing my Facebook newsfeed. We’re going to Oahu for the end of February for about 10 days. I haven’t had a proper vacation in a while, so this is major for me. If you’ve got them, tell me your hot tips for food, hikes, general stuff to do, and any leads on totally excellent Mai Tais in the comments! Thank you.
-Stupid gardening moves and “compost mouth.”
-A self care explosion.
–Psychic Teachers Podcast. My friend called to tell me about this early in the week, and I’m so glad he did. I find it extra calming in the evening hours. Every episode begins with a stone of the week, an animal of the week, and a meditation.
–How you eat VS what you eat and a beautiful porridge recipe.
-I’ve probably linked to this before, but it’s worth another read if you’re an Ina Garten super fan like me.
-On living in a commune: “A mirroring process with many mirrors.”
-Mast Brothers and the embarrassment of being lured in by “old-fashioned”/artisanal foods.
-“I’m doing sit-ups with my virtual boyfriend.” Equal parts funny and awful.
-I lean on dry spices and herbs in the Winter pretty heavily because I’m roasting trays of vegetables all the time. This is a great guide.
–Yoga pant citations and taking care of the things you already have to gain a better understanding of who you really are.
Coconut Blood Orange Lassi with Cardamom
- 1 ripe pear, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 small-medium blood oranges, peeled and chopped
- 2 soft medjool dates, pitted
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cultured coconut milk/coconut yogurt
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- pinch sea salt
- In an upright blender, combine the pear, blood oranges, dates, cardamom, vanilla, coconut milk yogurt, non-dairy milk, and salt. Blend on high until completely smooth. Enjoy!
- The ripe pear really makes this drink work. I freeze chunks of peeled pears all the time for my shakes. It’s great when I want something thick and lightly creamy, but without the distinctly banana-ish taste.
- I find an alternative lassi is most successful when you incorporate some type of less acidic fruit as the base–ie banana, mango (the original!), papaya etc, so the pear really does need to be ripe here.
- I used coconut yogurt for this, but if you aren’t dairy-averse, feel free to use whatever you like.