Roasted strawberry coconut shake is rich and creamy, but light at the same time. Vegan and cane sugar-free. Super flavourful.
I get really impatient this time of year. I’m not a total saint when it comes to local and seasonal eating. I eat broccoli all year, use citrus like it’s my day job, love tropical fruits that would never stand a chance of growing in my area, and I get serious cravings for out-of-season delights like strawberries sometimes.
Strawberries usually arrive on the tippy tail end of Spring in my area. So I’m eating these imported ones to quell my craving and I mean, they’re fine in terms of flavour! But a little roasting with maple syrup gets them to where they need to be in my opinion. Jammy, sweet, and a little more fragrant.
I know that pre-cooking fruit for a smoothie seems like a huge pain, but you could roast up a whole tray of berries and use them for granola bowls, mashing into a sauce for some sort of dessert, serving alongside on a (vegan or not) cheese plate etc. For a nice post-dinner treat, I think the effort is worth it–especially on the weekend. Lots more smoothies to check out here, another great strawberry smoothie with goji berries and spice here, and some links for you below!
Vegan white chocolate bunnies! Renée is a high vibe sweets goddess.
Praise be! Ina has another cookbook coming out in the fall and it’s… <3 for Jeffrey <3 #GOALS
“To-do lists are where important tasks go to die.” Whoa. While I don’t find list-making stressful, I do agree that these task drill downs do not account for time in any way. This factor alone tends to mess my day up sometimes.
It’s vegan month at Serious Eats! (!!!)
You need a self-care routine in your life. My favourite bit: “Be intentional about who/what you let in your mind and subconscious.” That McKel knows what’s up.
The ultimate beauty secret: INTENTION.
There’s a Lisa Frank tarot deck. Everything you can imagine is real.
The conventional makeup/skincare industry is so messed up. If you haven’t converted to the all-natural yet, this episode of Stuff You Should Know is worth a listen. Thanks to my bud Jessica Murnane for linking to this.
A lot of people email me about my experience in culinary school. The tuition for my Canadian school was quite affordable, but enrolment and graduation can be a tough lesson in economics for so many.
A new show aaaaalllll about pizza :D
So sweet: the happiest little gal gets adopted. Those paws in the air, seriously.
Roasted Strawberry Coconut Shake
- 1¼ cups strawberries, stems removed and cut into quarters
- ¼ teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ⅓ cup full fat coconut milk, frozen into ice cubes
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Toss the strawberries with the olive oil and maple syrup on a small baking sheet. Slide the strawberries into the oven and roast for 20 minutes, or until berries are soft, juicy, and lightly caramelized. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine the cooled berries, coconut milk ice cubes, non-dairy milk, vanilla, and sea salt in an upright blender. Blend on high until the shake is totally smooth. Serve immediately.
- I think a lot of roasted fruits would be delicious with this shake. Figs, plums, nectarines… You could definitely make it work for what you have.
- Also note: you’ll have to make ice cubes out of coconut milk before you start this recipe. I make a tray of these on a weekly basis for smoothies.