I enjoy VERY thick smoothies and after drinking freezing cold shakes with a ton of ice in them (or upwards of 2 whole frozen bananas lol), I eventually figured out that you can use a scoop of oats for thickness in my breakfast smoothie as well! This is a win for those times when I crave the convenience and goodness of one of my healthy vegan smoothies, but am preferring a less ice-cold experience. If you’re looking for even more vegan smoothies and wholesome vegan meals, check out my cookbook as well.
I love big salads, fresh juices, and of course smoothies all year. I especially love adding oats to my blended concoctions now because it gives the smoothie that cozy oat flavour. It also makes the drink extra filling. Of course I had to make this one chocolate-y and of course I gave you a load of options for customizing too! Get this chocolate banana oat breakfast smoothie in your life!
How To Freeze Bananas for Smoothies:
- Wait for the bananas to get perfectly speckled on the outside and ripe.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and clear a space in your freezer.
- Peel the bananas and chop them into 2-inch pieces
- Place the chopped bananas pieces in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer and freeze the chopped bananas until solid, or overnight.
- Transfer frozen banana pieces to a resealable bag or airtight container (to save space in your freezer).
- Use bananas within 6 months of freezing.
The main thing that I love about this smoothie is that I pretty much always have these ingredients on hand. I keep a big stash of frozen, chopped bananas in my freezer, and almond butter, flax seeds, and vegan protein powder are pantry staples for me. The frozen bananas are so key! They make smoothies super frothy, thick, and creamy.
This smoothie can easily be made nut-free! Simply use an oat or soy-based milk, and swap in tahini or pumpkin seed butter for the almond. Also, if you like this smoothie, I bet you’ll also be into my Peanut Butter Vanilla Green Shake, another delicious breakfast smoothie option! My Spinach Banana & Ginger Smoothie is another favourite for getting the day started.
Chocolate Banana Oat Breakfast Smoothie
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (or other nut/seed butter)
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large ripe banana, preferably frozen
- pinch sea salt
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder optional
- ¼ cup ice optional
- Feel free to add a pitted medjool date to this mix if you prefer your smoothies a bit sweeter!
- Other additions that are great in this smoothie: a handful of mild greens like baby spinach, chia seeds (1 teaspoon), even a handful of an alternative smoothie thickener like frozen zucchini or cauliflower is amazing. Chocolate fixes all!
- In an upright blender, combine the non-dairy milk, oats, almond butter, cocoa powder, flax seeds, vanilla, banana, salt, cinnamon, protein powder (if using), and ice (if using). Put the lid on and bring the blender speed up to high. Blend until the smoothie is totally smooth and frothy. Enjoy immediately!