Creamy vegan lemon bars are naturally gluten-free and loaded with tart and zesty lemon flavour. Rich, delicious, and naturally sweetened.
Sharing this amazing vegan lemon bars recipe from the Love & Lemons Every Day cookbook today! You all know that I generally don’t enjoy baking/making desserts in general, but this recipe is different.
These bars are truly a minimum fuss dessert. They hit at only 9 ingredients! And the entire process goes like this: grind up the crust in the food processor, press the crust in, blend filling until smooth, pour filling, freeze, cut, done! And for how easy they are, the flavour and richness are wild. So, SO good. I have the bars all cut up in a container in the freezer, and I just set one out to thaw a bit while we’re cleaning up after dinner. Perfect sweet relief at the end of a hot day.
This cookbook has been out since the spring and while it may just get me to enjoy making desserts again, it is very much a reference book for total vegetable enjoyment. It has over 300 pages of inspiration for any vegetable you could imagine. In addition to straightforward recipes, there are also a bunch of handy quick-reference charts for grilling vegetables, salad dressings, and quick pasta inspiration, among other things. The perfectly styled photos, ease of preparation, and the key combination of streamlined-but-unique recipes make this book so inspiring! I already love to cook, but this collection makes me want to cook even more.
Some recipes from Love & Lemons Every Day that I’m looking forward to trying soon: Chimichurri Potato Salad, Yellow Squash Turmeric Tofu Scramble, Tahini Collard Green Slaw, Chickpea Harissa Veggie Burgers, and the Flourless Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies. You can click over here to get some more glances and information about this new favourite of mine.
I hope that everyone’s July is going well! That Mercury retrograde is hitting me HARD this week, but we’re powering through. Catch you back here real soon! More citrusy treats here: tahini shakes with cinnamon and lime, winter citrus salad with rosemary rooibos syrup, and vegan chocolate orange cheesecake.
Creamy Vegan Lemon Bars
- 9 soft Medjool dates pitted
- 1 cup walnuts
- ¾ cup gluten-free whole rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons filtered water
- 1 14- ounce can coconut cream see notes!
- 1 ¼ cups raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- Recipe from Love & Lemons Every Day by Jeanine Donofrio and Jack Matthews.
- Be sure to use coconut cream as opposed to the milk!
- These instructions are directly from the book! The only thing I added was a splash of vanilla extract to the filling.
- Make the crust: In a food processor, place the dates, walnuts, oats, and salt and process until the mixture comes together into a sticky ball. If necessary, gradually add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water.
- Line a 7 x 9-inch or 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper and press the crust to the edges of the pan. The crust is very sticky, so I like to use a sheet of parchment paper on top to help smooth it out. Place the pan in the freezer while you make the filling.
- Make the filling: In a high-speed blender, puree the coconut cream, cashews, lemon zest, lemon juice, maple syrup, and salt until smooth. Pour the filling over the crust and freeze overnight. Let thaw at room temperature for 20 minutes before slicing into bars and serving.