This creamy vegan artichoke dip is made with kale, not spinach, plus a super flavourful cashew cream. Pepperoncini peppers give it a bit of spice, too! It’s one of my favourite shareable vegan appetizers!
The First Mess Cookbook
My cookbook has a section devoted to vegan appetizers and snacks, including a couple of great dip recipes!
Sneaking in with a super easy vegan artichoke dip with kale! I think it’s a fact that most people love a dip. This one has all the comfort and familiarity of a typical creamy and cheesy artichoke dip, but obviously I’ve remixed it a bit. It comes together quickly and is made with 10-ish ingredients total. An entertaining win!
I have lots of other options if you’re looking for vegan appetizer ideas, including this vegan red pepper dip recipe and this vegan eggplant dip recipe.
While I was working on this recipe, I noticed that a lot of sites/magazines label this dish as “hot” artichoke dip–a nod to it being baked and served hot obviously. Right away, my brain went to actually making the dip hot and spicy (and also warm) because I enjoy making everything spicy. This recipe makes about 3 cups of dip total.
We make this dip totally vegan with a super flavourful cashew cream. I’ve also added pepperoncini peppers for that bit of SPICE (both in the cashew cream and chopped up into the dip itself. Pepperoncini peppers also bring brightening acidity and a flavour-rounding slight sweetness to the party. Miso, nutritional yeast, Dijon, lemon, and garlic are all bringing their own special flare here. Kale replaces spinach for another fun twist. Once this thing is all heated up in the skillet and garnished, you’re ready to get the party started.
I mostly like to eat this warm pepperoncini, artichoke and kale dip with lots of bread, but crackers and fresh vegetables are nice too. I think some people do tortilla chips? Sign me up for that salty goodness. You can make this dip ahead of time and store it int he fridge for up to 5 days. I like serving this dip warm and straight from the pan, since we do bring it together on the stovetop. You could also bake it though!
Spicy Vegan Artichoke Dip with Kale
- ¾ cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours and drained
- 1 tablespoon light miso
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 6 pepperoncini peppers, stems removed & divided (+ more if you want spicier)
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 oz frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh kale, packed
- vegan “parm”
- chopped parsley
- chili flakes
- extra pepperoncini peppers
- I prefer the flavour of frozen artichoke hearts over canned! It just seems cleaner to me.
- I reheated leftovers of this with a generous and indulgent dollop of vegan mayonnaise, and honestly I cannot recommend it more.
- In an upright blender, combine the cashews, miso, lemon zest, lemon juice, Dijon, nutritional yeast, onion powder, 3 of the pepperoncini peppers, salt, pepper, and water. Blend the mixture on high until you have a thick but pourable cream. You should have about 1 ⅔ cups total of liquid. Set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Chop up the remaining pepperoncini peppers and set aside. Add the oil to the pan and swirl it around. Add the chopped artichokes and pepperoncini peppers to the pan and stir. Sauté vegetables until fragrant and warmed through, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and sauté until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add the kale to the pan and stir. Keep cooking and stirring until the kale is quite wilted and bright green, about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the cashew cream from before into the pan, scraping out every last bit with a rubber spatula. Stir to combine with all of the vegetables. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Once the dip is uniformly hot and seasoned to your liking, transfer it to your serving dish.
- Serve the spicy pepperoncini, artichoke and kale dip with preferred garnishes and a selection of cut breads, crackers, and vegetables. Enjoy warm!