Coconut Blood Orange Lassi with Cardamom
This creamy, vegan coconut blood orange lassi features a warm sprinkle of cardamom and a little bit of natural sweetness from dates.
- 1 ripe pear, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 small-medium blood oranges, peeled and chopped
- 2 soft medjool dates, pitted
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cultured coconut milk/coconut yogurt
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- pinch sea salt
In an upright blender, combine the pear, blood oranges, dates, cardamom, vanilla, coconut milk yogurt, non-dairy milk, and salt. Blend on high until completely smooth. Enjoy!
- The ripe pear really makes this drink work. I freeze chunks of peeled pears all the time for my shakes. It's great when I want something thick and lightly creamy, but without the distinctly banana-ish taste.
- I find an alternative lassi is most successful when you incorporate some type of less acidic fruit as the base--ie banana, mango (the original!), papaya etc, so the pear really does need to be ripe here.
- I used coconut yogurt for this, but if you aren't dairy-averse, feel free to use whatever you like.