Jumbo vegan and grain-free tahini chocolate chunk cookie is indulgent and easy to prepare. Naturally sweetened and perfect for 2 people.
Sometimes you need a giant, gooey cookie all to yourself at pretty much the drop of a hat. I’ve stated it many times, but I’ll say it again: I’m not one for larger scale baking projects or baking in general really. But a singular, mega-sized, totally gooey, grain-free tahini chocolate chunk cookie made with a bunch of pantry stuff that I have hanging around? I will get down with that repeatedly. I have to also add that it comes together super quickly and has a very relaxed 10 ingredients.
Realistically I would put this mega cookie at two servings! The tahini and almond base make it super rich and slightly gooey. I love the slightly bitter sesame edge here and it plays really well with dark chocolate and the teeny sprinkle of flaky salt. My favourite tahini of all time is by Soom. It’s all definitely sweet and rich, but complex as well.
Exactly my kind of treat! I’m celebrating my birthday today and I would honestly take one of these over cake. More tahini goodness in the form of an orange scented granola here and if grain-free treats are your thing, you should definitely try these brownies.
We’re in for a snow/ice storm today, so I’m spending it cozied up with my man and our dogs at home. So grateful for another year, and as always, deeply thankful for all of you that read and follow along here. Hope you’re having a great week! Sending love and a (biiiig) grain-free tahini chocolate chunk cookie :)
Jumbo Grain-Free Tahini Chocolate Chunk Cookie
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon almond meal (or hazelnut/sunflower seed meal)
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 oz 28 grams dark, dairy-free chocolate, chopped (or 2 tablespoons chocolate chips)
- flaky sea salt
- cacao nibs
- sesame seeds
- Make sure that your tahini is well-stirred and drippy! You could substitute any nut/seed butter you like as long as it’s drippy and smooth. I just like saying “drippy” lol.
- I chopped up part of a chocolate bar here, but 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips will do the trick too!
- If you baked this in a little skillet and served it warm with vegan ice cream, I could definitely see myself becoming your best friend. Just a suggestion! ;)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flaxseed and water. Stir vigorously and then set aside for 5 minutes, allowing it to thicken/turn to a gel consistency.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond meal, salt, cinnamon (if using), and baking soda. Stir to combine. Then, add the flaxseed gel, maple syrup, tahini, avocado oil, and vanilla. Using a spatula, stir until the thick and slightly wet dough is combined and there are no dry spots.
- Add the chocolate chunks to the cookie dough and fold them in until evenly distributed throughout.
- Transfer the cookie dough to the baking sheet and press it out into an even circle that is uniformly 1-inch thick. Sprinkle the top of the cookie with flaky salt, cacao nibs, and sesame seeds.
- Bake the grain-free tahini chocolate chunk cookie until the edges are browned and small cracks appear, about 10 minutes. Let the cookie cool completely (about 30 minutes) on the baking sheet before enjoying.