GINGER SWEET POTATO COCONUT MILK STEW WITH LENTILS & KALE

pin it!

pin it!
pin it!

We’re in that last stretch of Winter where I just want it to be OVER. The sight of a fresh snowfall is, yes, beautiful, but also? I know that we’re still in for at least another 6 weeks of deep cold and grey days here. Embracing the coziness of it is helpful and cooking new and exciting things is also great, but ultimately I just keep imagining myself on a beach somewhere with a very chill blended drink. The thought alone is very slightly helpful.

As far as I know, I won’t be getting to that beach anytime soon, so I’m cooking sunshine-y things in my little kitchen instead. (lol that sounded sadder than I intended it to upon re-reading oooops)

This sweet potato and coconut milk stew is a glowing and mellow shade of orange with big, vibrant pops of green from kale and cilantro. We use lots of chili and ginger in this stew, along with a bunch of other spices. You get sweetness, spice, earthy vibes, creaminess, satiating texture from the lentils, and a good squeeze of lime rounds everything out. Rounding it out is key.

If you count common spices as one component (I always do hehe), this recipe hits at around 10-ish ingredients. It’s very simple to make, definitely hearty, and super accommodating for different dietary sensitivities. If a stew could have it all, this would be IT. For my taste, it has just the right amount of richness–a real flavour bomb with a deep health glow. Just the kinda thing I’m after lately.

pin it!
pin it!
pin it!

GINGER SWEET POTATO AND COCONUT MILK STEW WITH LENTILS & KALE

SERVES: 4-6
NOTES:
Coconut milk is naturally sweet and so are sweet potatoes (obviously). I like to go in with a lot of dried chili to balance things out, but of course add as much as you feel comfortable with.
-Chard or mustard greens would also be delicious in place of the kale.
-You already know: I always recommend making your own vegetable stock. My go-to method here!
-My favourite coconut milk brand is Aroy-D

1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 medium yellow onion, small dice
½ – 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes (I used Diaspora Co’s ground Guntur Sannam Chilli)
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 ½ lbs (690 grams or 2 medium) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces
½ cup brown lentils, picked over
4 cups vegetable stock
13.5 oz (400 ml) can full fat coconut milk
1 small bunch of kale, stems removed & leaves chopped (about 4 cups chopped & lightly packed kale)

GARNISH:
chopped cilantro
extra chili flakes
lime wedges
Nigella seeds (optional)

Heat a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Add the coconut oil to the pot and let it melt. Add the onions to the pot and stir. Saute the onions, stirring occasionally, until translucent and quite soft, about 5 minutes. Add the chili flakes, coriander, cumin, and turmeric. Saute spices until very fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the ginger and garlic to the pot and cook for another minute. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.

Add the sweet potatoes to the pot and stir to coat in the spices. Add the lentils to the pot and stir once more. Season everything liberally with salt and pepper. Add the vegetable stock and stir, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Place the lid on top of the pot and bring to a boil.

Once the stew is boiling, lower the heat to a simmer and set the lid slightly askew on top of the pot so that there’s a couple inches available for steam to escape. Simmer until the sweet potatoes are almost falling apart and the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. The liquid should also be reduced by almost a third.

Add the coconut milk and kale to the pot and stir. Place the lid on top and continue to simmer the stew until the kale is wilted and bright green, about 3-4 minutes. Season the sweet potato and coconut milk stew again with salt and pepper. Bring the stew back up to a strong simmer and check for seasoning. Adjust with more salt, pepper, chili etc. if necessary.

Serve the sweet potato and coconut milk stew hot with chopped cilantro, extra chili flakes, lime wedges, and Nigella seeds (if using).

pin it!
  • Cee Lowe19/02/2020 - 4:39 am

Can I use ground ginger? Fresh ginger is too expensive here. Can I use red lentils? That’s all I have. Can I use pumpkin instead of sweet potatoes? I don’t like the taste of sweet potatoes.

It sounds like a totally different dish. ReplyCancel

• Laura19/02/2020 - 8:29 am

You could substitute 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger in this stew, but it will taste quite different/possibly hotter and more bitter. Red lentils are also fine to use, but they will cook faster and start to break down, which will ultimately thicken the stew a bit more. Pumpkin is a great substitute for sweet potatoes.

• Jennifer08/03/2020 - 1:09 am

I used pink lentils. Tastes wonderful. I think any substitutions will be fine. Recipes are a guide more than anything – at least to me they are. It’s soooo good.ReplyCancel

• Antoinette21/03/2020 - 7:39 pm

I used ground ginger it still tasted greatReplyCancel

• Patricia J Vizina25/03/2020 - 12:55 am

I didn’t have any sweet potatoes, and we don’t eat potatoes, so I skipped them. Doubled the lentils and used curry powder because I didn’t have any turmeric It WAS FANTASTIC. I cubed up one zucchini to add a bit more veggies and used a ton of kale. I swear my kids loved it and the flavors are fabulous. This is a great recipe! I love the seasonings.ReplyCancel

• Jwes26/03/2020 - 3:22 pm

I made this with ginger powder and yellow and red lentils. Due to the limited shopping the market was picked cleaned. It did come out really good. The red lentils did get a bit mushy. The yellow lentils held up better. The powder gringer was just as tasty.ReplyCancel

• Anneli Schmidt19/02/2020 - 10:41 am

This looks so delicious! I love soups! I may have to make this tonight for dinner :)ReplyCancel

• Jill19/02/2020 - 12:19 pm

This looks incredible!!! Any idea on nutritional info? Calories or fat content? Thank you!ReplyCancel

• Laura19/02/2020 - 12:38 pm

Hi Jill,
      I approach food purely from a feel-good perspective. It’s about the pleasure and the relaxation of cooking for me. If nutrition information is important for your lifestyle, there are lots of free online nutrition calculators and apps available that are super simple and quick to use.
      Thanks!
      LauraReplyCancel

• Jill19/02/2020 - 1:26 pm

Thanks so much for your reply, Laura! I totally understand. I love your recipes and will do a quick look up for the sake of my tracking (I can sometimes love food too much). :)ReplyCancel

• Gissele11/03/2020 - 7:56 pm

This was so deliciousReplyCancel

• alder09/03/2020 - 12:38 pm

For anyone taking a look down in the comments and curious as well, or if you’ve not made it yet I placed it in myfitnesspal:

For 6 servings
        calories 202
        protein 10.4g
        fat 10.4g (saturated = 9.6g, poly .3g, mono .3g)
        carb 21.5g (fiber 8.8g, sugars 3.8g)
        Sodium 343.1mg (rough estimate, varies on stock or broth used or salt amount added)
        Cholesterol 0

High in calcium, potassium, vitamin A, Vitamin C, and iron.

Definitely adding it to my menu~ReplyCancel

• Connie16/03/2020 - 11:42 pm
        • Peter17/03/2020 - 7:15 am

Is that 202 cals per serve?ReplyCancel

• Carrie18/03/2020 - 7:42 pm

Omg this was truly delicious, thank you so much for sharing. I did not have coriander seeds to grind, substituted curry.ReplyCancel

• Carla20/04/2020 - 9:12 pm

Thanks so much for this entirely-refreshing response!ReplyCancel

• karyn hall19/02/2020 - 2:02 pm

This sounds perfect for a winter day, thanks so much!ReplyCancel

• Alejandra Graf19/02/2020 - 2:05 pm

It looks heavenly!! I can’t wait to try it.ReplyCancel

• Kayann Short19/02/2020 - 2:38 pm

I’ve got a butternut squash sitting on the counter and kale growing in the greenhouse that should be delicious in this stew! I’m always happy to find recipes that make use of my winter veggies. Thank you!ReplyCancel

• Bridgitte19/02/2020 - 5:35 pm

This looks amazing! But sweet potatoes are way too sweet for me. What’ a good substitution? Butternup squash?

Thanks!ReplyCancel

• KIRSTEN ZIERES19/02/2020 - 5:36 pm

Do nigella seeds need to be ground, or can they be used whole Thank you!ReplyCancel

• Laura20/02/2020 - 9:50 am

I used them whole purely as a garnish here.

• Lauren19/02/2020 - 7:21 pm

I was looking forward to making this as soon as it was posted, as I knew I had all the ingredients at home (including the diaspora chilli and turmeric ) and it looked TASTY and also EASY. Holy yum! So quick to prepare and SOOO GOOD, I’ll def be making this one again!ReplyCancel

• Laura20/02/2020 - 9:50 am

So glad that you enjoyed it, Lauren! Those Diaspora Co. spices really do make a difference :)

• Eden19/02/2020 - 8:16 pm

Oh my goodness your food satisfies my souls in so many ways!!! This is another perfect example of delicious, nourishing, big hug type goodness. Thank you!
    Question: do you have a recipe for the bread you served it with?
    Looks like perfect friend to that golden bowl.ReplyCancel

• Laura20/02/2020 - 9:51 am

Hi Eden,
      Thanks so much for this. Honestly, I just had some pizza dough on hand in the fridge. So I rolled it out into little disks and cooked the disks in a bit of avocado oil in a hot frying pan, pressing the dough into the pan as it cooked.

• Eden27/02/2020 - 12:06 am

Oh what a handy dough to have on board!!ReplyCancel

• Tajah14/04/2020 - 11:53 pm

Any feedback on freezing this recipe?
      I just made it & it’s very tasty.
      Ginger gives it a bite. So a nice sweet spicy balance.
      I do wish the liquid reduced more, but that’s okayReplyCancel

• Kim H.19/02/2020 - 8:47 pm

Thank you for this. I just happened to have all of the ingredients, so I couldn’t help myself. I too am done with the grayness of winter. This was quite delicious and simple to prepare while I multitasked other projects during dinnertime. I high recommend all of the suggested toppings :)

One comment — the ads on this site have become so large, especially one for Fluzone High Dose. The ad completely obstructs my view and it’s very difficult to find the “x” to close the ad window. So frustrating. Not sure if you are aware.ReplyCancel

• Laura20/02/2020 - 9:54 am

Hi Kim,
      Thank you so much for this. I’m so sorry that the ads are negatively impacting your experience of the site. Was it a pop-up style ad? If you ever see a bad ad, please feel free to take a screenshot and email it to me so that I can show it to my ad provider. From past experience, this is the clearest and fastest way to get to the root of the problem. My email is laura@thefirstmess.com
      Thanks again,

• Aimee19/02/2020 - 10:49 pm

I made this for dinner tonight! I read the recipe this afternoon and it spoke to me. I’ve been in a cooking funk and this was just what I needed. It was perfect just as written and will be a new regular in my rotation.ReplyCancel

• Amanda | What’s Cooking19/02/2020 - 11:18 pm

I made this tonight and it was delicious. The spice is just right. It’s earthy and tangy and comes together pretty quickly. I’m definitely keeping this in the rotation.ReplyCancel

• Heidi C.19/02/2020 - 11:40 pm

Beautiful looking stew! Forgive me if I missed this, but I was wondering what that lovely rolled flatbread/pita/or… is?
    Thanks for all you do.ReplyCancel

• Laura20/02/2020 - 9:55 am

Hi Heidi,
      The bread in the photo is just some rolled out disks of pizza dough that I had on hand in my fridge. I cooked them in a bit of avocado oil in a frying pan, pressing down on the dough as it cooked. Very tasty and easier than heading out to buy flatbread :)

• Lorraine20/02/2020 - 9:19 pm

I made this last night, and added an egg plant because well there was one in the fridge that needed to be used. And it was so delicious. Thank you for the recipe. I served it with brown rice.ReplyCancel

• Vla S21/02/2020 - 6:44 am

What a STUNNING recipe. Thank you so much.ReplyCancel

• Kimberlee21/02/2020 - 5:14 pm

Made this last night. The only variation was using only half the coconut milk and no heat. It was really delicious. The sweetness level was just right. The sweet potatoes and lentils cooked quite fast so it completely worked for a midweek meal. Buttered tandoori bread was perfect on the side. The picture was beautiful and compelling enough to make me try it. Though I am not vegan or vegetarian, it was very satisfying. I just received your cookbook, The First Mess. I have already placed post it notes on the pages I want to try! Five stars from me!ReplyCancel

• Razia22/02/2020 - 5:58 am

Gonna make this tomorrow, easy to prepare and sure yummy.ReplyCancel

• Laura22/02/2020 - 11:00 pm

I just made this the other day and it was SO good I felt compelled to leave a comment here :) It is perfectly spicy, and comforting while still tasting fresh. The flavors are on point. Thanks for this recipe!ReplyCancel

• Iselin Jolanda23/02/2020 - 7:30 am

Wow, that looks truly amazing! So creamy and colorful! Thank you so much for this recipeReplyCancel

• Allison Edmondson23/02/2020 - 10:53 am

hi Laura, long time fan of your site–and love so many of your plant-based recipes. Do you think it would be ok to sub spinach for kale–or not preferable? Only asking as I have some spinach on hand that i need too use up but can easily use kale too if the flavor is a better complement…ReplyCancel

• Laura25/02/2020 - 2:49 pm

Hi Allison! Any greens are honestly fine. I prefer hardier greens for this stew because it is quite rich, but if you have spinach on hand, that’s also great. It’s a very flexible recipe :)

• Ali23/02/2020 - 1:14 pm

This was really really really (really) delicious. The final flavor and textures were kind of unexpected in the best way. This will be a repeat for us!ReplyCancel

• Jenn23/02/2020 - 2:22 pm

This is SO good!ReplyCancel

• Kathrine23/02/2020 - 5:26 pm

Just made this after a hard day’s skiing — what a treat! Instead of the lentils I pressure cooked some red carlin peas with onion and spices and topped it off with these. Delicious!ReplyCancel

• Sumeera24/02/2020 - 1:41 am

This! The food and photography are all so beautiful. Everything is mouthwatering and inspiring.ReplyCancel

• Emma Weinberger24/02/2020 - 8:58 pm

Would this recipe work with black lentils?ReplyCancel

• Laura25/02/2020 - 2:46 pm

Yes it would! They will take about 10-15 minutes longer to cook.

• Heather25/02/2020 - 10:35 pm

I doubled all the spices and topped with pumpkin seeds (couldn’t find nigella). It turned out delicious! I’m currently warding off a virus that’s going around my workplace, so this warm rich bowl of stew was the perfect thing. Thank you!ReplyCancel

• Claire Schlessinger26/02/2020 - 1:06 am

One more voice chiming in to say this was delicious! Made as written and it turned out beautifully. Thanks for bringing some coziness to my home :)ReplyCancel

• Linda26/02/2020 - 9:22 pm

Definitely a 5 star recipe that will become part of my regular rotation for cold weather meals! Great that it’s so easy to make too. I increased the quantity of lentils to 1 cup, used ~ 3/4 tsp of the Diaspora chile (great spices, great company), no added salt, and collards instead of kale because that’s what I had. Also, I didn’t bother to peel the sweet potatoes, just washed them really well.
    Thanks Laura for another great recipe.ReplyCancel

• Elisha Cohn27/02/2020 - 2:26 pm

This is SO my kind of thing but my husband doesn’t care for lentils, or chickpeas which would be my first go-to alternative; do you have any suggestions for a substitution? I really want to make this but can’t justify cooking something only I will eat.ReplyCancel

• Laura27/02/2020 - 7:50 pm

Hi Elisha,
      Will your husband eat brown rice, quinoa, or other grains? You could also just add more diced vegetables (broccoli, carrots, bell peppers–lots of things would work here) to make it a more veggie-focused stew!

• Barry L. Kramer02/04/2020 - 2:45 am

I’m a big fan of barley and as decent cook, I bet it would work.ReplyCancel

• deb27/02/2020 - 7:32 pm

Made this today with some locally grown white sweet potatoes– didn’t get that gorgeous color (still pretty but not that sunset color)– but got all the flavor. So tasty! Took less time than I it would to make, always a plus. Perfect on a cold, windy day. I’m working on transitioning from vegetarian to vegan, and your recipes have been helping to nudge me along. Yay!ReplyCancel

• Deanne29/02/2020 - 9:22 pm

OMG this was amazing! Made it tonight. Huge hit. My sweet potato hating hubby even took seconds! Served it with some Naan. From a family trying to transition to vegetarian!ReplyCancel

• Sarah29/02/2020 - 10:15 pm

Oh my gosh, this is SO delicious!!!! Heat from the chili flakes, sweetness from the coconut and potatoes, and spice from all the aromatics!
    Winner of a stew here. Thank you for the recipe!! Will make it again for sure.ReplyCancel

• Cassie01/03/2020 - 10:01 pm

Wow! That’s delicious! I’ve also been loving the double chocolate hazelnut espresso shake on a daily basis. You’re so talented! Keep up the good work!
    Wanted to share a photo here. Might have to do this on Pinterest.ReplyCancel

• AJ02/03/2020 - 12:49 pm

Looking forward to making this recipe this week. Searched your encore and couldn’t find one: do you have a vegan naan recipe? One in your pics look delish.ReplyCancel

• Laura03/03/2020 - 1:39 pm

Hi AJ, I do not have a vegan naan or any other type of flatbread recipe on the site currently. The flatbread in my photos was just a bit of pizza dough that I had in the fridge, rolled out into little disks and fried on the stove in avocado oil.

• Halli02/03/2020 - 9:40 pm

Just finished eating this for dinner tonight! My favourite coconut curry recipe I’ve tried yet! I used quite a bit of chopped ginger and also added some celery and half an apple to the onions. Dandelion greens were on sale in the market so I subbed that in. Thank you for sharing these excellent recipes with us Laura!ReplyCancel

• Brittany Scully03/03/2020 - 3:39 pm

I made this a couple nights ago and had for some lunches this week. It was DIVINE! I already can’t wait to make it again. The flavor is just so lovely. I felt squeezing half a lemon at the end really made it all come together. Thanks as always!
    BrittanyReplyCancel

• Gilly05/03/2020 - 12:09 am

Mmm sounds wonderfully tasty, will definitely try this! Thank you ReplyCancel

• Karen Peters05/03/2020 - 11:12 am

I don’t know who you are, who you wit, or what you came to the planet to do, but this right here…….baybay, you did this. Period.ReplyCancel

• susan05/03/2020 - 11:31 am

how could this work with someone on a ‘bland’ diet. just reduce amount of spice? also, i already have cooked lentils. just put them in later?ReplyCancel

• Laura05/03/2020 - 1:54 pm

Hi Susan,
      I don’t think I can recommend making this for someone on a bland diet unfortunately. Those partaking in a bland diet generally need to avoid high fat foods (like coconut milk), lentils/all pulses, garlic, onion, anything acidic (like lime), and cruciferous vegetables like kale. Once you take out all of these things here, there isn’t much of the recipe left to go on. Might be best to search for some bland diet-specific stew recipes on Google.

• Susan06/03/2020 - 6:10 am

That’s what I thought. Thanks. But we are trying to find dietary ways to increase potassium and magnesium and bland diets don’t help at all. Sigh. But we shall try it once chemo is done and good food once again becomes an option.ReplyCancel

• Ronda07/03/2020 - 5:48 pm

I stick to bland diets. You certainly can adjust it to your needs. Maybe ask a nutritionist for help. I’d leave out chili flakes and use almond milk instead of coconut milk. Eat a smaller amount to begin with to make sure your tummy can handle it.
      Pre cooked lentils would work fine.ReplyCancel

• Janne Swearengen05/03/2020 - 12:00 pm

The recipe calls for full fat coconut milk. We are watching our fat intake so will try the awesome recipe with ‘lite’. Using Chard instead of kale but have the rest of the ingredients on hand. Can’t wait to try it!ReplyCancel

• Navah05/03/2020 - 12:30 pm

Can I use red lentils? They have a different texture and cook quicklyReplyCancel

• Laura05/03/2020 - 1:47 pm

Yep! They will make the finished stew thicker and creamier.

• Sarah Lincoln05/03/2020 - 2:09 pm

This is the most delicious coconut stew I have ever made wow! Thanks for the recipe! :)ReplyCancel

• Nina Fry05/03/2020 - 6:24 pm

This was such an amazing and simple recipe!! You can also just feel how much good nutrition is in it.

Thank you!! ~ NinaReplyCancel

• Denise Bory05/03/2020 - 9:48 pm

I just made this tonight and my husband and I loved it! The flavors were amazing! It came out more like a hearty soup than a stew, but great with a loaf of sourdough bread. I added some chunks of carrots as well as a millet/brown rice ramen (already cooked) to the mix. I think I might be tempted to add more carrots and sweet potatoes next time as there was more than enough liquid. Thanks for this wonderful recipe!!ReplyCancel

• Barbara Manzano06/03/2020 - 3:46 am

Recipe sounds good. When I get all ingredients I will make this recipe.ReplyCancel

• Paige08/03/2020 - 9:11 pm

Hi Im excited to try this but I dont use lentils too much. Im assuming we put them in dried or do we soak them before hand?ReplyCancel

• Sarah06/03/2020 - 11:09 am

I see you have several pizza dough recipes on your site, can you direct me to which you used? Thanks!ReplyCancel

• Meghan06/03/2020 - 11:58 am

Can I substitute spinach for kale? I always have spinach on hand and husband doesn’t care for the texture & bitterness of kale.ReplyCancel

• Laura06/03/2020 - 1:19 pm

Hi Meghan, You can definitely use spinach instead! It will wilt and cook faster though.

• Cagla06/03/2020 - 1:38 pm

OMG this soup is the bomb I had to control myself from having the hole pot I bow to you dear soup goddess I am posting it on my Instagram @caglaelagozbazley Thank you for this amazing and delicious recipe from the bottom of my heart ReplyCancel

• Galina06/03/2020 - 7:24 pm

New York winters are abysmal, damp and grey. I made your stew on a rainy Friday afternoon, starting with your lovely stock recipe. This is just what my family ( including a very picky seven year old ) needed. Thank you for adding warmth and grounding in a bowl.
    PS I will be tripling both recipes next time.ReplyCancel

• Corina Chevalier06/03/2020 - 7:47 pm

This was phenomenal! So perfect on a drizzly day!!ReplyCancel

• Eva07/03/2020 - 4:42 am

I am in Australia. We have the end-of-summer gloom. This soup is just what my soul and body needed… and OMG it tastes heavenly. Cooked it tonight, just perfect. Thank you for this recipe.ReplyCancel

• Douglas07/03/2020 - 5:45 am

I like to use a lot of chopped fresh red chili when cooking.
    I suppose this could substitute for the chili flakes ?
    How much, do you think ?ReplyCancel

• Laura07/03/2020 - 8:18 am

Honestly as much as you can handle! There’s a lot of mellow and sweet flavours happening with this stew, so it can take quite a bit. It’s also quite dependent on what type of chili you’re using!

• FIONA SHAW07/03/2020 - 4:25 pm

Absolutely delicious, thank you.ReplyCancel

• Spain08/03/2020 - 4:11 pm

We made this soup last night! So delicious, thank you for posting!ReplyCancel

• Janet08/03/2020 - 9:00 pm

I made this recipe today exactly as given. It was excellent. I have never heard of your blog before but I will certainly be using it a great deal from now on. Thank you!ReplyCancel

• Mel09/03/2020 - 12:07 pm

OK, this is delicious. I made it 3 days ago and think I’m going to make it again this week. I didn’t make my own stock (I used vegetable bouillon cubes), and I used green lentils instead of black and spinach instead of kale. I also omitted the Nigella seeds and cilantro. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out DIVINE. So hearty and flavourful and satisfying. Highly recommend.ReplyCancel

• Lynn10/03/2020 - 4:22 pm

Can this be made in a slow cooker? any thoughts on that?ReplyCancel

• Laura11/03/2020 - 5:58 am

Hi Lynn, I have not made this recipe in a slow cooker but from a quick look on Google, I think you could place all of the ingredients in the insert except for the kale and cook it on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Them just stir in and wilt the kale at the end.

• Lynn12/03/2020 - 11:40 pm

Thanks, Laura. I actually made it the way you instructed, tonight. It’s fabulous!! Such a flavor party!!ReplyCancel

• Alison McHenry12/03/2020 - 12:17 pm

Made this last night and it was one of the best soups I’ve made! Will definitely be saving this recipe. Thanks!ReplyCancel

• Carey Eberle12/03/2020 - 8:17 pm

What to use to replace the diaspora chili flakes? They are currently sold out, Regular chili powder? Ancho chili powder? thank you. Can’t wait to make this :)ReplyCancel

• Laura16/03/2020 - 9:16 am

Hi Carey! I would use regular chili flakes as a substitute.

• Emily Khoury13/03/2020 - 12:03 am

I’m not usually one to comment, but this stew blew my mind right outta my head. It was super yummo. Make it. Make it now!ReplyCancel

• Deb Watts13/03/2020 - 5:31 am

YUM! Made this today and loved it! 1/2 tsp chilli flakes was enough for us though. Thank you for a tasty, healthy recipe.ReplyCancel

• Sharon Tobar14/03/2020 - 12:44 pm

Prepared the Ginger Sweet Potato and Coconut Milk Stew with Lentils for a party last night. Everyone loved it and asked for the recipe. I sent it out immediately. Thank you. This is definitely going to be a “go to recipe” for me!ReplyCancel

• Babs15/03/2020 - 6:05 pm

Made this today with white yams, so it definitely didn’t look like your picture, more brown/grayish, but the taste was outstanding! It’s similar to another recipe I have for butternut squash, but the lentils add more. Don’t forget to squeeze some lime over top – it makes all the difference!ReplyCancel

• Jacqueline15/03/2020 - 8:12 pm

fabulous ! Second Time I made it in a week.ReplyCancel

• Courtenay16/03/2020 - 5:45 pm

So delicious! I added a can of chick peas. Perfect combination of ingredients.ReplyCancel

• Brigitte17/03/2020 - 10:52 am

I’ve just finished eating this gorgeous stew. It was very tasty and the only mod was more chili, I used gochugaru and little thai chili and less liquid by two cups. Will make again soon with more lentils next.ReplyCancel

• Bina18/03/2020 - 3:30 pm

Hi red lentils instead of brown lentils? And butternut squash instead of sweet potatoe? Thoughts cReplyCancel

• Laura18/03/2020 - 3:36 pm

Hey Bina!
      You could use red lentils. They will break down a lot more and add to the creaminess of the stew, which is great. Butternut squash is a perfect sub for sweet potato. Hope you enjoy!

• Martha18/03/2020 - 10:50 pm

We really enjoyed this stew, it was very good and easy.ReplyCancel

• Rod Bobke20/03/2020 - 9:53 pm

That was incredible. Served with naan bread over rice with a side of Mango chutney. 5 stars.ReplyCancel

• Amie20/03/2020 - 10:18 pm

Do you think this stew would freeze well? I’d love to freeze it and send it to a friend.ReplyCancel

• Laura21/03/2020 - 10:27 am

Hi Amie,
      This stew would freeze great. The only thing that concerns me is that the kale and herbs might get overcooked upon reheating, but if that doesn’t bother you, I’d say go ahead!

• jude21/03/2020 - 2:19 pm

I didn’t have veggie stock so I added chicken stock and I also added an handful of currents and some roasted cashews at the end of simmer – so good. The spice combination is just so flavourful; we loved the outcome.ReplyCancel

• Emeline David23/03/2020 - 1:20 pm

Hi,
    I don’t understand how you can make the stew boil before adding the coconot milk, there is no liquid in the pot.
    Maybe I am missing to english but I really don’t understand this one.
    Can you help me ?ReplyCancel

• Laura23/03/2020 - 2:00 pm

Hi Emeline,
      In the step before, you add vegetable stock to the pot. This is the liquid that is coming to a boil before the coconut milk is added.

• Kate S.23/03/2020 - 3:51 pm

I finally made this and oh my god. so simple but the flavors are so complex and comforting and perfect for my suddenly-work-from-home lunches. Thank you so much!ReplyCancel

• Kate24/03/2020 - 12:02 am

This looks amazing!! Def going to make it!! Can I ask what is the bread you have served it with?ReplyCancel

• Laura24/03/2020 - 8:43 am

Hi Kate,
      I just rolled and fried little discs of pizza dough that I had on hand to serve with this. Nothing fancy ;)

• Melissa24/03/2020 - 2:14 am

Hello, I am just about to cook this as per your directions. Just curious for next time though: would this work in a slow cooker? Thanks in advanceReplyCancel

• Laura24/03/2020 - 8:42 am

Hi Melissa,
      Please check out my response to Lynn who asked the same question!

• Jana25/03/2020 - 12:26 am

I love this curry, it is so simple and so so delicious. I’ve made it with many different combinations of vegetables, it’s very versatile. My kids aren’t crazy about onions though so I blend the onions, garlic, ginger, broth and spices right in the pot with my immersion blender before adding all the veggies… works great and they love this curry too! Thank you Laura!ReplyCancel

• didi25/03/2020 - 1:17 am

How would this work with white potatoes instead of sweet potatoes? Just wondering because it sounds DELICIOUS but I haven’t got any sweet potatoes on hand. :(
    Thanks!ReplyCancel

• Laura25/03/2020 - 7:33 am

Hi Didi!
      Regular potatoes would be fine and would actually make the stew much thicker and heartier. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• Mary27/03/2020 - 10:14 am

This was beyond delicious!! I could have inhaled the whole pot!!!

Used ground ginger, chicken broth and green lentils. Turned out just absolutely excellent!ReplyCancel

• Jennifer27/03/2020 - 1:18 pm

This was absolutely delicious. I was able to use everything as the recipe calls for it. Its hearty, spicy and sweet and oh so good for your body and soul. will be a regular part of my soup/stew repertoire. Thank you!ReplyCancel

• Laurnie27/03/2020 - 6:37 pm

This recipe is delicious!! I made it exactly as-is, and it was the perfect, comforting meal after a long week of pandemic news. Super easy to pull together, too! Love, love, love this! And will definitely make again. Thank you so much for this delight.ReplyCancel

• Karen Landes27/03/2020 - 9:05 pm

I am eating this delicious soup as I type this! OMG! It’s SO incredibly wonderful!! I love it. Thank you for bringing this to my taste buds!!! Perfect comfort food. Instead of simmering it for 30 minutes I sautéed everything in the Instant Pot then did high pressure for 10 minutes and drank a glass of wine! When I opened it back up I added the kale and coconut milk. I also added 1/2 tsp of garam masala and 1/4 tsp of cayenne at the end (I wanted it even spicier). I did all the garnishes and I would NOT skip the nigella seeds if you can avoid it. Thank you again so much for your yummy food and blog! I wanted to also let you know that the pictures are taking a LONG time to load. Best, KarenReplyCancel

• Lorraine28/03/2020 - 11:46 pm

This is delicious! And it’s economical, healthy, pretty, and easy to make. Thank you!ReplyCancel

• Keira Lyons29/03/2020 - 8:21 pm

So delicious. Thank you so much for sharing :)ReplyCancel

• Liesel Fysh30/03/2020 - 1:00 pm

Spectacular. A winner / keeper for sureReplyCancel

• Jenn31/03/2020 - 4:28 am

Looks amazing and will cook asap. Can you tell me what “picked over” means in regard to the brown lentils ?

Thanks in anticipation .. yumm !ReplyCancel

• Laura13/04/2020 - 9:36 am

Hi Jenn! Sometimes you’ll find little tiny stones in bags of lentils. So I always just do a quick check after I measure them out.

• Michele Gangaware31/03/2020 - 10:24 am

This was absolutely delicious! It was the perfect balance of spicy and sweet, the nigella seeds really topped it off, I was so glad I chose to add them. Thank you for sharing this dish with us!ReplyCancel

• Sue31/03/2020 - 5:10 pm

Help I accidentally bought lite coconut milk. I have a can of unsweetened too. What should I use. Unsweetened or lite?ReplyCancel

• Laura13/04/2020 - 9:37 am

Hi Sue! Lite coconut milk is fine. It will just be a touch less creamy! ;)

• Rebecca31/03/2020 - 7:38 pm

So good! I doubled the recipe and so glad I did, yum! I switched up the produce to use what I had on hand/what’s cheap given the current pandemic, and used chickpeas instead of lentils. Love the flavor profile, will definitely make this again. It is such a cozy dish :DReplyCancel

• Liane31/03/2020 - 9:35 pm

Omg, I made this tonight and it is perhaps the best stew I’ve ever made. Fortunately, I already had everything on the list except for ginger. But that’s okay because I don’t like ginger and it tasted amazing without it. I added a bit more chillies than on the recipe and the heat made it so delicious. Thanks so much for such a delicious treat during these difficult days during isolation. xReplyCancel

• Eileen01/04/2020 - 12:55 pm

I wish I had read the recipe through before I started cooking. Coconut milk in first, then onions, cook till translucent, makes no sense. Then later on put coconut milk in – twice???ReplyCancel

• Eileen01/04/2020 - 1:04 pm

Please ignore my last comment – I misread the first instruction – it’s coconut oil.ReplyCancel

• Rafael01/04/2020 - 2:13 pm

We cooked this today. We didn’t have lentils sonwe used garbanzo beans and it was delicious. Thank you!ReplyCancel

• Jen01/04/2020 - 4:26 pm

If I sub water for veggie stock, which seasonings do you suggest I increase or add?ReplyCancel

• Laura13/04/2020 - 9:37 am

Hi Jen!
      You can increase the spices if you like, but the stew should be fine as-is!

• Linda Carr01/04/2020 - 9:18 pm

This was absolutely delicious! I can’t wait to try more of your recipes – thanks!ReplyCancel

• Millie02/04/2020 - 8:31 am

This was so delicious! 5 stars!!ReplyCancel

• Debbie03/04/2020 - 10:43 am

I used canned garbanzo beans instead of lentils, and frozen spinach instead of kale. Also used frozen ginger cubes from Trader Joes instead of fresh ginger. And no coconut oil because we had none. I didn’t peel the sweet potatoes. This was a huge hit and my husband had 3 servings, though I expected him to hate the soup. This is a keeper. Also, my soup was not as pretty as the picture on the page – mine looked kind of gross. But it tasted good.ReplyCancel

• Suzette03/04/2020 - 1:34 pm

Hi! Is it possible to use already cooked lentils?ReplyCancel

• Laura13/04/2020 - 9:38 am

Hi Suzette! Pre-cooked lentils are great here. You can still add them at the same point that I do in the recipe or later towards the end of the simmering time if you want. This is a really flexible recipe ;)

• Michelle17/04/2020 - 9:25 am

If you use canned lentils, do you did less liquid?ReplyCancel

• Laura20/04/2020 - 7:44 am

If you’re using canned lentils, I would hold the vegetable stock back to 2 cups and add more at the end if you find it necessary.ReplyCancel

• Helen Kramer03/04/2020 - 9:56 pm

Great base and so versatile! We eat seafood, so I added shrimp with the chard and was out of lentils so used some chick peas…delicious! Spices are perfect.ReplyCancel

• Laura03/04/2020 - 10:12 pm

I have about half a can of coconut milk leftover from another recipe. Would that be enough?ReplyCancel

• Laura13/04/2020 - 9:39 am

Hi Laura,
      It should be fine! If the stew seems too thick, Just add a splash of vegetable stock or water.

• Julie05/04/2020 - 1:23 pm

This dish is ABSOLUTELY FREAKING AMAZING!!!! Thank you so much!!!! I will be making this ALL THE TIME. I added a can of chiclpeas (because why not) when adding the kale and coconut milk, and I had to use ground ginger as that’s what I had. SO SO SO GOOD!!!ReplyCancel

• Deborah05/04/2020 - 8:44 pm

OMG!!!! Substituted the fresh ginger for ground since I didn’t have any but OMG this is awesome!!!ReplyCancel

• Lisa Feldman06/04/2020 - 1:05 pm

Wow! Don’t hesitate to make this! The whole family love this easy, one pot dish and requested I make it a new standard. I had to make some quarantine substitutions- Black lentils (which held up to all the cooking so were great), and low fat coconut milk-but the recipe didn’t suffer at all. I also doubled the cumin, coriander and turmeric to 1t. Used only 1t. of dried chili flakes (like the kind you put on pizza) and the dish was ‘hotter’ than expected but we loved it (just a warning to some). Served with Nigella seeds (they even sell them at Whole Foods now), lime, and as I had no cilantro, used pomegranate seeds (had one laying around) over sweet (sticky) rice. Think unsalted peanuts on top would be great too. Will be checking out your other recipes.Thanks!ReplyCancel

• Janet06/04/2020 - 2:06 pm

Hi! Would lite coconut milk work? We are limited in our ability to find full fat coconut milk at the moment. Thanks!!ReplyCancel

• Laura13/04/2020 - 9:39 am

Hi Janet,
      Lite coconut milk is fine! The stew will be a bit less rich, but will still taste good :)

• Eden07/04/2020 - 2:18 pm

This soup is delicious. I am making for the second time in 2 weeks. Seriously good stuff!ReplyCancel

• Kamilah Tutt07/04/2020 - 8:05 pm

I made this recipe with my Aunt. She loves it so much that she has been sharing the recipe and has asked me to share it with here again. I was alerted to this recipe on facebook.ReplyCancel

• Lisa08/04/2020 - 11:12 pm

Embarrassing disclosure – I had never cooked with fresh ginger before. Or coconut oil. Or made a dish with coconut milk that wasn’t a dessert. (I warned you it was embarrassing…)

So while prepping and chopping the ingredients, I’ll admit I was a little wary as to what was going to come out of the pot at the end.

But WOW this recipe was so delicious! And so easy! And flexible! For example, Kale? I don’t think we’ve ever – intentionally at least – purchased kale before, but I threw in some spinach we had lying around instead, as well as substituted green lentils for brown ones (do lentils come in brown? who knew?) and it was still fabulous!

Thank you for such a wonderful family dinner. I’m now inspired to attempt a bunch of your other yummy sounding recipes, even if they involve ingredients outside of my usual comfort zone. :)ReplyCancel

• Moses09/04/2020 - 12:18 pm

This recipe is bananas! SO! DAMN! GOOD! I followed the directions exactly. My family four ate it all up – no leftovers. So, I made it three more times within seven days. What I have found, is if you manage to have any leftovers, it tastes even better day two.ReplyCancel

• Abby11/04/2020 - 6:13 pm

Super good! Perfect for a cool spring day. The only thing I would do different is ‘brown’ the potatoes a bit more before adding the broth. Love the flavors!ReplyCancel

• Kate12/04/2020 - 12:34 pm

I made this today in the slow cooker, it was delicious! I used red lentils as they were what I had. And I put in less liquid (somewhere around a half to two thirds of the recipe) as slow cooking doesn’t have the evaporation stovetop cooking does. But it was so good it was hard to stop at a single portion, it’s definitely going in my make again folder.ReplyCancel

• Lucy12/04/2020 - 2:38 pm

Made this for Easter dinner! It was easy and super yummy! I made farro to go along with it.ReplyCancel

• AMC16/04/2020 - 10:40 am

Adding a splash of soy sauce and a bit of brown sugar at the end really enhances the flavor!ReplyCancel

• Jamie17/04/2020 - 6:31 pm

If you have some extra time, a good hack is to roast the sweet potatoes (or use a winter squash) and add it at the end! Roasted carrots would work great as well.ReplyCancel

• Debra17/04/2020 - 9:32 pm

Made this today, delicious! Had to have a 2nd helping. Thank-you so much for sharing this keeper recipe!ReplyCancel

• Catherine18/04/2020 - 6:34 pm

This stew is the first recipe I’ve tried from your site and is absolutely amazing. All of the recipes on here look great and I can’t wait to try more. Thank you for sharing.ReplyCancel

• Frances19/04/2020 - 6:20 am

Yum! Have made this twice now and love it, it’s gone into regular dinner rotation! I love that its a flexible recipe as well – I sub fennel in for the onion and only had 200ml cans of coconut milk and it was still 10/10!ReplyCancel

• Louise Hart23/04/2020 - 12:07 am

Some really delicious recpies thank youReplyCancel

• Morgan27/04/2020 - 8:34 pm

Oh my GOD. This stew. THIS STEW IS GOOD. It’s a 40 degree and rainy night where I am right now and this stew is EXACTLY what I needed so warm, comforting and delicious. 11/10ReplyCancel

• Sheilah Thompson29/04/2020 - 7:16 pm

Thank You Nate, I cannot wait to try this.ReplyCancel

• Suzanne Norris29/04/2020 - 7:34 pm

This is delicious. Anybody have experience with freezing it?ReplyCancel

• Michelle30/04/2020 - 12:41 pm

I made this last night and it was delicious!

Can it be made in an Instant Pot?ReplyCancel

• Dana11/05/2020 - 3:45 pm

I made it in an IP with a 9 minute cook time and quick release. The sweet potatoes were too soft for me, so next time I will try 8 minutes.ReplyCancel

• Lindsey01/05/2020 - 11:53 am

This soup is definitely being added to our list of favorite foods! It’s delicious. BONUS: The house smells AMAZING! Ty!!ReplyCancel

• Andrea04/05/2020 - 8:37 pm

Another FABULOUS meal from you, Laura! This is really delicious and feels so healthy. I made it exactly as written except I added a little homemade red curry paste. So great as always!! Thanks for being such a reliable source of delicious recipes!!ReplyCancel

• Cory10/05/2020 - 1:13 pm

Really tasty and super easy. I wanted the same color as the photo, so I added some achiote. Must serve with vegan roti:https://holycowvegan.net/khasta-parathaparotta/ReplyCancel

• Jill13/05/2020 - 9:06 pm

I have never before been this excited about a soup! I’ve shared the recipe with everyone I know. My husband doesn’t like lentils or sweet potatoes, and even he liked it. One question: those look like yams in the photos, not sweet potatoes? I used sweet potatoes and canned lentils (all I had, so put them in near the end, since they didn’t need to cook), and then used green onions and garlic olive oil to make it more FODMAP friendly, and it was delicious! I also used my immersion blender to mash things up a bit. Even better the next day with bread and a bit of cheese mixed in (sounds weird; tasted amazing).ReplyCancel

• Carol Scrivner05/06/2020 - 6:26 pm

Oh my this is really fantastic. I ised ore cooked brown lentils. I was hoping my stew would be that wonderful orange color but mine is green!!
    It still tastes great!ReplyCancel

• Lynda17/06/2020 - 2:19 am

Questions:
    1. I would like just the tiniest bit of heat-what could I use other than chili flakes?
    2. What kind of bread is that in the photo?
    Thanks!ReplyCancel

• Laura17/06/2020 - 3:54 pm

You could simply reduce the amount of chili flakes or even use a dash of hot sauce instead to bring the heat level down! The bread is a quick little flatbread that I made with pizza dough. Just flattened little circles of it and fried it in a bit of oil.

• Nicole06/07/2020 - 12:43 am

I used fresh Thai chilis in mine and it was perfect. I’d recommend grounding them to release the oils.ReplyCancel

• Ara17/06/2020 - 5:11 pm

Made this with pumpkin instead of sweet potato. Tasted amazing but looked like complete mush. How did you get yours to look so pretty?ReplyCancel

• Petina24/06/2020 - 1:32 am

Just had it for lunch at Jenns. Bloody Yumoooooo. Going to make some tonight to munch on and for the freezer.
    Thanks to Jen.
    Petina.ReplyCancel

• carol mcbride24/06/2020 - 2:16 pm

can I use French lentils instead, or will they turn to mush?ReplyCancel

• Laura24/06/2020 - 4:08 pm

You can use French lentils! They will be great, just not as “meaty” as the brown ones. They won’t turn to mush in the allotted cooing time in the recipe.

• Michelle01/07/2020 - 11:05 pm

Hi
    I made this with all fresh organic ingredients i followed the recipe to a tee it tasted amazing i will be making this again and again, i found it a bit brownish in colour rather than the orange (apart from the sweet potato of course) i may add a little more tumeric next time and could you use light coconut milk?

Michelle ReplyCancel