Vegan s’mores bark with caramelized graham crackers is an easy and decadent treat to whip up in a short amount of time. Only six ingredients!
It’s a different kind of summer isn’t it? In our province, gatherings of 10 or less are currently allowed and restaurants are free to open their patios with proper spacing between seats. It is nice to see our families up close again. We’re still finding ways to focus on and relish the at-home life though. We’ve always been homebodies, but these last few months have brought a new level of appreciation for our resting place and surrounding neighbourhood. Coffee on the porch, spending more time in the garden, getting all those little things done that we had been putting off. I’m honestly looking forward to a whole summer of that. Quiet, slow, low pressure, more time for reflection, less rushing around.
Treats like this vegan s’mores bark will be sprinkled throughout our summer too. This stuff is wildly delicious and decadent. You caramelize ragged bits of graham crackers in vegan butter and coconut sugar (or brown sugar), let the pieces cool, and then you chop them up. They get sprinkled over a big pool of melted chocolate along with some vegan marshmallows, and some flaky salt if you wish. The bark is gooey, crunchy, buttery, mega chocolaty, and delicious. It’s relatively simple and quick to set up if you’re in need of a treat on short notice ;). Hope you give it a try!
Thanks so much for your emails and messages from my last post. Personally and professionally, I know that I must do better. Thanks for being here to help with that process. It is truly a lifelong learning curve. With that, I leave you with our recipe and a few links to check out. Have a nice weekend :)
-I was on my friend Jess’s One Part Podcast this week. We had an open discussion about my missteps as a white food content creator in the past, action steps going forward specifically relating to this website and other related work, and how we both just want to leave Instagram sometimes.
–The news about Bon Appétit Magazine’s disturbingly racist culture seems to get worse by the day. This episode of The Sporkful Podcast covers everything that has happened so far, and also features an interview with Sohla El-Waylly, the test kitchen editor that initially called for EIC Adam Rapoport’s resignation.
-Is a worldwide pandemic actually forcing people to come to terms with excessive meat consumption?
-This interview with Lauren Ornelas covers a lot of ground. From highlighting farm workers rights during a pandemic to understanding food specification beyond things like fair trade certification. This quote rings true now and forever: “It is important that people remember it is not just about their food choices but also to support efforts to create equity in the food system and support the boycotts called by farm workers.”
-The Science of Tadka: An Essential Technique for Blooming Spices
-Apparently graham crackers were invented to curb sex drive?!?! Plus other historical observations that led to the creation we now know as the s’more.
-66+ Black-owned and founded wellness brands to support.
Vegan S’mores Bark with Caramelized Graham Crackers
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup coconut palm sugar
- pinch fine sea salt
- ¾ cup coarsely crushed graham crackers
- 12 oz (340 grams) dairy-free chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup small vegan marshmallows
- I try not to be exclusive about quality of ingredients–just keeping accessibility in mind. That said, if your grocery budget/research time allows, I’d recommend looking at Food Empowerment Project’s list of vegan chocolate options, highlighting brands that do not exploit children/enslaved labour conditions. They have a lot of eye-opening information on their site about this topic
- My favourite vegan marshmallow brand is Dandies.
- I’ve found that a lot of graham cracker options are accidentally vegan! (ie no honey) You can also make some yourself if you’re feeling ambitious. This recipe looks great.
- Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside. Place a smaller sheet pan on the counter near the stove and place a sheet of parchment paper on it as well.
- Set a small saucepan over medium-high heat and add the vegan butter. Once the vegan butter is melted add the coconut palm sugar and pinch of salt. Stir to combine with a rubber spatula until sugar is dissolved and starting to foam. Bring the mixture to a boil. Keep stirring and cooking this mixture for about 2-3 minutes, or until the caramel is pulling away from the sides of the pan as you stir and is totally homogenous.
- Remove this mixture from the heat and stir in the crushed graham crackers. Quickly stir to evenly coat the pieces. Scrape the caramelized graham crackers out onto the smaller, parchment lined baking sheet, spreading them out as much as you can. Place the whole baking sheet in the fridge and chill until all of the pieces are firm. Once firm, roughly chop the caramelized graham crackers.
- While the caramelized graham crackers are cooling, melt the chocolate in a double boiler setup. Once the chocolate is fully melted and fluid, scrape it out onto the parchment-lined half sheet pan, spreading it out into an even layer. You should have a 1-2 inch empty border surrounding the whole piece in the half sheet pan.
- Quickly top the chocolate with the caramelized graham crackers and marshmallows. Sprinkle a bit of salt if you like.
- Place the vegan s’mores bark into the fridge until completely firm, about 1 hour. Then, break the vegan s’mores bark into smaller pieces. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week!