A roundup of 30 vegan soup recipes. Many of these soups skew towards a hearty stew! Hope this gives you some new inspiration for soup season!
I eat soup and stew all year, but the true season of cozy pots is right now. I thought I would round up all of my best options for vegan soup recipes to keep you warm and cozy. Many of these skew towards the hearty stew column, which I know we all love. Making a big pot of soup is my favourite weekday lunch strategy this time of year (it’s also my only lunch strategy haha). Heating up the leftovers with a little slice of bread (or 3) on the side is my dream lunch seriously.
Every good soup starts with delicious vegetable stock! Don’t forget to check out my recipe for a flavour boosted stock that kicks things off on the right foot.
I hope you can find some new inspiration here! There’s plenty more in my soup category right here. I also have some excellent soups in my cookbook too. I know this is the season of hunkering down and minimal grocery store trips. If you ever have substitution questions, please feel free to ask me in the comments.
1. Fennel Walnut Soup with Leeks & Turmeric. This golden soup is super buttery because of the walnuts that we blend right into the soup! This also makes the simple purée a touch more satiating.
2. Creamy Vegan Mushroom Stew with Farro & Kale. My mushroom-despising partner loved this one and I think that’s saying a lot! The farro is chewy and delicious with the meaty mushrooms. This recipe hovers around 10 ingredients too.
3. Spicy Sesame Carrot Soup with Red Lentils. This is such a deluxe and more satiating twist on classic carrot ginger soup. Slowly sautéed onions, carrots, and spices are blended up with creamy tahini, protein-rich lentils, toasted sesame oil, and a good dose of chillies. Super flavourful and simple to make!
4. Smoky Squash Chili with Quinoa, Pinto & Black Beans. Does a chili count as soup? I think so. This one is so cozy with the smoky flavours, tender cubes of squash, 2 types of beans, and a little bit of quinoa to add to the texture and protein factor.
5. Garlic Pepper Soba with Chili-Roasted Tofu. This is a great, simple soup recipe, but this post also features my vegetable stock making method. Good soup needs good stock ;)
6. Coconut Green Soup with Celery, Kale & Ginger. So much more satisfying than a green juice! I love the simplicity of this puréed soup. Sautéed zucchini and coconut milk add to the creamy texture. I love to top this soup with cooked rice, chickpeas, herbs, avocado, whatever I have on hand.
7. Butternut Minestrone with Sage, Chickpeas & Chard. A cool weather take on minestrone with squash and hardy herbs. I love topping bowls of this with homemade vegan “parm” and lots of black pepper.
8. Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Potatoes, Rosemary & Lemon. This is an oldie! You roast cauliflower with potatoes, onions, and halves of lemon. The lemon becomes caramelized and resulting lemon juice perks up the flavour perfectly.
9. Kabocha Squash and Chestnut Soup with Kale Sesame Crisps. Just pure comfort and simplicity! You do have to roast and peel chestnuts ahead of time for this one. This soup is topped with beautiful and crunchy (!) kale sesame crisps with a hint of maple.
10. Smoky Shiitake Tortilla Soup. Baked tortilla strips are puréed into this soup as well as piled high on top. Sliced shiitake mushrooms fill this soup out and make it extra savoury.
11. Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup. Maybe a touch out of season, but if you preserved some summer tomatoes, you’re good to go on this one! I’ve been known to make it with canned tomatoes too! All the comfort of traditional tomato soup without the dairy.
12. Flavours of Morocco-Inspired Vegetable and Chickpea Stew. So many delicious warming spices in this stew along with little surprises of chopped dates. Just a celebration of colourful and warming plant-based goodness.
13. Quick Smoky Red Lentil Stew. Pantry-friendly and ready in 30 minutes. Sometimes this is the precise combination of needs for dinner time. This stew also has so much flavour from smoked paprika and balsamic vinegar.
14. Creamy White Bean Soup with Kale, Rosemary & Lemon. This is one of my all time, most popular recipes! You purée half of the white beans and stock to get the creamy texture. The lemon and rosemary make it feel vibrant and fresh. Also as a bonus: ready in 40 minutes!
15. Golden Slow Cooker Red Lentil Soup with Coconut, Spinach & Lime. This is a real set-it-and-forget-it kinda dinner with so. Much. Flavour! Another pantry-friendly winner that we add some baby spinach too for a little spot of green vegetable goodness.
16. White Wine Lentils with Mustard and Thyme. Does this count as a soup? I definitely think it’s similar to a soup or stew, so we’ll put it here. It’s also super quick to make and only has about 10 ingredients. Also wine! ;)
17. Simple Ginger Carrot Bisque. This recipe is from Gena Hamshaw’s Food52 Vegan cookbook and the simplicity of it is so stunning. Ginger and carrot are just perfect together and a diced potato puréed into the soup makes it so creamy and satisfying.
18. Creamy Winter Vegetable Chowder with Mustard, Lemon & Crispy Cabbage. This thick soup is a winter celebration. A heavy sprinkle of Old Bay seasoning, lemon juice, and mustard give the mellow white vegetables so much flavour.
19. Ginger Sweet Potato and Coconut Milk Stew with Lentils & Kale. This is the recipe that I get tagged in the most often on Instagram! It really is so flavourful and satisfying, so it makes sense that it’s one of the most popular vegan soup recipes on this site. The dish is inspired by Indian cuisine and Thai coconut milk-based curries.
20. Smoky Chickpea, Cabbage & Lentil Soup with Kale. Hearty winter goodness that’s super pantry-friendly. I got on a real thing with smoked paprika and liquid smoke for a while, and this recipe is from that stretch hehe.
21. Smoky and Spicy White Bean Stew with Potatoes and Kale. How many tomato-y stews with beans do we have here?! I know what I like and sharing different iterations of that combination keeps me honest haha. The potatoes in this one are the real kicker for me.
22. Golden Coconut Broth Bowls with Crispy Tofu. Kind of a soup and kind of a bowl food situation. The coconut milk broth cozies around some steamed broccoli, quinoa, and little cubes of crispy tofu go on top. Warming and filling.
23. Deep Green Lentil Stew with Spinach, Tahini & Lemon. A super hearty and unusual stew that’s made a bit creamy with tahini. I love reserving bits of lentil and potato to top the soup with for a nice visual element. The lemon is so important in this soup! It really lifts everything up.
24. Creamy French Lentils with Mushrooms and Kale. Another one of my mega popular vegan soup recipes from the archives that takes advantage of the blending technique! You blend half of the soup before adding greens to give it a creamy texture. This is a deep winter pot of comfort.
25. Seven Spice Chickpea Stew with Tomatoes & Coconut. Aside from the chopped parsley, this recipe comes together with a bunch of stuff that I always have on hand. It also only takes 40 minutes to make. Feels like magic when it’s done!
26. Harvest Corn Chowder with Beer & White Beans. It’s not exactly the season of corn in the northern hemisphere, but luckily I planned ahead and froze a bunch of summer corn specifically so that I could make chowder in the cold months. Honestly any frozen corn is great! This recipe has potatoes, chili, a bit of white beans for extra protein, and a nice little tang from a splash of beer.
27. My Favourite Vegan French Lentil Soup. This soup is so classic and I still make it all the time. Smoked paprika, tarragon, thyme, and lots of garlic flavour this simple soup with roughly 10 core ingredients. So comforting, nourishing and 100% perfect with a slice of crusty bread.
28. Lemony Chickpea Soup with Spinach & Potatoes. This is one of the simplest and most satisfying vegan soup recipes, and it relies on 10 main ingredients. Half of the chickpea and potato base is blended to make this vegan and naturally gluten free soup extra creamy and satisfying.
29. Creamy Cauliflower & Sweet Potato Chowder. This naturally gluten-free recipe is cozy and vibrant at the same time, and flavoured with dried thyme and tarragon, garlic, smoked paprika, grainy mustard, and lemon. Roasting the cauliflower first brings an extra dimension of deep flavour.
30. Creamy Vegan Vegetable Stew with Sun Dried Tomato Broth. This hearty stew packs in the vegetables and greens and is so deeply flavourful with sun dried tomatoes, lots of garlic, thyme, oregano, nutritional yeast, and a finishing touch of coconut aminos. I love the wholesome vibe of this one!
31. Simple Chickpea Soup with Rosemary & Garlic. Sometimes less is more and this soup reflects that philosophy! This one really is about the earthy-creamy quality of the chickpeas mingling with smoky paprika, fresh rosemary, a generous amount of garlic, and miso for umami. This soup is perfect with a simple salad and lots of crusty bread.
32. Brothy Beans with Herbs & Lemon. These one-pot vegan brothy beans are super flavourful with herbs, lemon, garlic, chili, well-browned onions and shallots, and umami-rich miso paste added at the end. A deeply savory pot of beans awaits after 1 ½ hours of mostly inactive simmering time!
33. Lemony Lentil Soup with Spinach & 7 Spices. Naturally vegan and gluten-free, this soup comes together in one pot in about 40 minutes, and uses plenty of pantry ingredients. Satisfying and flavourful with Tamari, garlic, spices, and fresh lemon juice.
Vegan Soups & Stews: Coconut Green Soup
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 small bunch of celery, chopped (about 4 cups chopped celery)
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 3 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped (2 tablespoons chopped ginger)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cups chopped and packed greens (I used a mix of kale and chard)
- 1 14-ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- cooked brown rice
- cooked lentils or chickpeas
- sliced ripe avocado
- extra coconut milk
- olive oil or chili-infused olive oil
- chopped fresh basil or chives
- I cook a diced zucchini in this soup to make it a little extra bit creamy, but if you have cooked white or navy beans on hand, you could throw 3/4 cup of them into the soup right before you purée it for a similar texture and extra protein.
- Heat a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add the cumin and coriander seeds to the pot and toast in the dry pot until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove the spices from the pot and grind them to a powder. Set aside.
- Drop the coconut oil into the pot and let it melt/heat up for 30 seconds. Add the shallots to the pot and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, celery, and apple to the pot and stir. Add the ginger, ground cumin and coriander to the pot and stir to distribute the spices among the vegetables.
- Add the vegetable stock to the pot and stir. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the vegetables and broth to a boil and then simmer, stirring here and there, until the zucchini is very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped greens and coconut milk to the pot and stir to mix. Keep simmering and stirring until the greens have wilted and are bright green. Remove the vegetables and stock from the heat.
- Purée the soup with a stick blender or in batches using an upright blender. Return the puréed soup to the pot and bring it to a boil. Stir the fresh lime juice into the soup and adjust any other seasoning. Serve coconut green soup hot with any garnishes you like.