Vegan maca caramel frap is super luscious with only dates and banana used as sweetener. Cold brew coffee, healthy fats, and vanilla, so good!
Our place has been a construction zone for the last week or two! Having people at your place making loud noises all day every day for a period of time isn’t exactly my favourite thing, but I’m grateful that it all came together. And we got our new patio! Cookouts coming our way ASAP. We’re getting a section of our roof re-shingled today, but other than that, I think we’re in the clear for a bit.
This holiday weekend is generally the jump-off point for summer around here. We haven’t planned anything too out of the ordinary for the upcoming months. Some camping, lots of gardening, beach trips, drive-in movie nights, lots of get-togethers, maybe a few road trips thrown in there too. Basically all the things we can do with our dog in tow!
I spent last summer living and breathing my cookbook, so it’ll be nice to just do things because I feel like it. It’s a bit nerdy, but I’m very excited about it all. Here’s a couple links for very casual reading and my take on a Starbucks frap, made a little more high vibe. Lots more smoothie inspiration here. Hope you love it! Enjoy the (long!) weekend, too.
I love the photography on Sweetish! It feels cozy and familiar, but it’s still heart-stopping pretty.
I received a smattering of these natural cleaning products a couple weeks ago, and they’re just lovely. The bergamot-scented hand soap is such a great dose of aromatherapy. Bright and sort of comforting because of the earl grey vibe.
This farmer helped start the organic strawberry farming industry in California, and I love his determination. Big change always starts with simple ideas like wanting a crop to taste good, or making changes so that workers can live better. Inspiring!
I love that Ruby Tandoh (she was amazing on The Great British Bake Off) and this essay on how unhealthy one’s conceptions of “clean eating” can really be is great. It frightens me when I read about certain food restrictions packaged in the language of morality from an internet/media personality. It’s irresponsible. The subtle undertones of “wellness” can be confusing and frustrating if you’re a thinking and feeling person trying to take hold of your health.
Screen breaks are very necessary. Ugly-up your iPhone by turning on greyscale to expedite this process ;)
The Positive Lexicography Project + emotions/relations that are familiar, but hard to explain in your own language. (My favourite one so far: Orenda (Huron, n.): the power of the human will to change the world in the face of powerful forces)
Vegan Maca Caramel Frap Blended Coffee
- ¼ cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours in cold water (or 10 minutes in boiling water)
- 2 soft Medjool dates, pitted
- ½ banana, sliced and frozen
- handful of ice cubes
- ½ teaspoon maca powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch fine sea salt
- ¼ cup cold brewed coffee
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- Combine all of the ingredients in an upright blender. Blend the mixture on high until smooth and frothy. Enjoy immediately.
- I would aim for a richer plant milk, like a coconut based one or even a mixture (like nutpods or similar).
- Also, since you’re incorporating raw cashews into this one, I think a high speed blender may be best. I’ve done this with cashews soaked for 4 hours, and cashews soaked for 10 minutes in boiling water, both with the same results.
- I recommend really soft Medjool dates here because they truly do enhance that “caramel”-like flavour. If yours are on the dry side, just soak them in hot water for 5 minutes before blending.