SPICY PEPPERONCINI, ARTICHOKE & KALE DIP

pin it!
pin it!
pin it!

Sneaking in with a super easy appetizer before the big day tomorrow. I think it’s a fact that most people love a dip. This one has all the comfort and familiarity of a typical creamy and cheesy artichoke dip, but obviously I’ve remixed it a bit. It comes together quickly and is made with 10-ish ingredients total. A holiday entertaining win!

Warm artichoke dip is super popular this time of year, and while I was working on this recipe, I noticed that a lot of sites/magazines label this dish as “hot” artichoke dip–a nod to it being baked and served hot obviously. Right away, my brain went to actually making the dip hot and spicy (and also warm) because I enjoy making everything spicy.

We make this dip totally vegan with a super flavourful cashew cream. I’ve also added pepperoncini peppers for that bit of SPICE (both in the cashew cream and chopped up into the dip itself. Pepperoncini peppers also bring brightening acidity and a flavour-rounding slight sweetness to the party too. Miso, nutritional yeast, Dijon, lemon, and garlic are all bringing their own special flare here. Kale replaces spinach for a cold weather-appropriate twist. Once this thing is all heated up in the skillet and garnished, you’re ready to get the party started.

I mostly like to eat this warm pepperoncini, artichoke and kale dip with lots of bread, but crackers and fresh vegetables are nice too. I think some people do tortilla chips? Sign me up for that salty goodness. Sending my best if you’re celebrating holidays this weekend, whether you revel in the social time or totally dread it. I see you! Hugs.

pin it!
pin it!
pin it!
pin it!

SPICY PEPPERONCINI, ARTICHOKE & KALE DIP (VEGAN)

SERVES: Makes about 3 cups of dip
NOTES:
I prefer the flavour of frozen artichoke hearts over canned! It just seems cleaner to me.
-I reheated leftovers of this with a generous and indulgent dollop of vegan mayonnaise, and honestly I cannot recommend it more.

DIP:
¾ cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours and drained
1 tablespoon light miso
½ teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
6 pepperoncini peppers, stems removed & divided (+ more if you want it spicier)
sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
¾ cup filtered water
2 tablespoons olive oil
12 oz frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups finely chopped fresh kale, packed

TO GARNISH:
vegan “parm”
chopped parsley
chili flakes
extra pepperoncini peppers

In an upright blender, combine the cashews, miso, lemon zest, lemon juice, Dijon, nutritional yeast, onion powder, 3 of the pepperoncini peppers, salt, pepper, and water. Blend the mixture on high until you have a thick but pourable cream. You should have about 1 ⅔ cups total of liquid. Set aside.

Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Chop up the remaining pepperoncini peppers and set aside. Add the oil to the pan and swirl it around. Add the chopped artichokes and pepperoncini peppers to the pan and stir. Sauté vegetables until fragrant and warmed through, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and sauté until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add the kale to the pan and stir. Keep cooking and stirring until the kale is quite wilted and bright green, about 3-4 minutes.

Pour the cashew cream from before into the pan, scraping out every last bit with a rubber spatula. Stir to combine with all of the vegetables. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Once the dip is uniformly hot and seasoned to your liking, transfer it to your serving dish.

Serve the spicy pepperoncini, artichoke and kale dip with preferred garnishes and a selection of cut breads, crackers, and vegetables. Enjoy warm!

• Megan27/11/2019 - 1:34 pm

This looks absolutely delicious! I am so tempted to make right now.ReplyCancel

• Elizabeth27/11/2019 - 2:28 pm

I’m not typically drawn to spinach artichoke dips. This dip sounds so good, though! I love the pepperoncini twist.ReplyCancel

• Sherry27/11/2019 - 8:27 pm

Peperoncini: what a brilliant twist, Laura! Tell us, please: where do you get your frozen artichoke hearts? I’ve heard of this wonder product but have never found them myself in (Toronto) supermarkets so far … Thank you!ReplyCancel

• Laura28/11/2019 - 12:21 pm

Hi Sherry!
      I grab mine on my USA (Buffalo-area) day trips. It’s a bummer that Canada hasn’t embraced the frozen artichoke yet! You can definitely use canned or jarred ones in this recipe as well though :)

• Michelle31/01/2020 - 1:21 am

I found frozen pkgs ov artichoke at Trader Joes.ReplyCancel

• Jen @ sweetgreenkitchen.com29/11/2019 - 1:31 pm

Any suggestions on making this ahead to bring to a potluck party? Would you cook as the recipe describes and then reheat in the oven? Or just serve room temp? Or pick another recipe, . Thank you for so many amazing recipes both beautiful and delicious and all the inspiration!ReplyCancel

• Dana30/11/2019 - 9:47 am

This produced more of a pate for me, with a good flavor. But the recipe as written didn’t quite work out. The soaked cashews would not blend and certainly didn’t result in a “pourable cream” without adding some liquid to even get the blender going (I added some water and a tablespoon or two of vegan mayo). Even then it was dense so I served in a shallow dish with a knife for spreading on crackers, not dipping. Everyone enjoyed it on Thanksgiving – just didn’t turn out as expected!ReplyCancel

• Michelle03/12/2019 - 9:33 pm

I made this for Thanksgiving and it was amazing! My company loved it also. I will definitely be making it again soon. It’s a keeper!ReplyCancel

• Diane09/12/2019 - 9:09 pm

I made this last night to enjoy by the fire with a glass of wine. Delicious!! Thanks for another great recipe, Laura!ReplyCancel

• Ilona14/12/2019 - 7:05 pm

First of all, I just made this to take to a Christmas party tonight and. I. Cannot. Stop. Eating. It!!! So delicious. Secondly, I made it nut free using raw sunflower seeds and that worked beautifully :) (also cheaper).
    Finally, did you add cayenne or some kind of chili to the recipe? I dont see in the ingredients list but it seems to be in one of your pictures…I could also be totally seeing things lol. In any case, thank your for your wonderful, plant-based and FLAVOUR BOMB recipes!!!ReplyCancel

• Laura15/12/2019 - 1:05 pm

So glad you enjoyed it, Ilona! I really appreciate your notes on the sunflower seed substitution too. I just garnished my dip with a bit of Aleppo chili flakes because I pretty much sprinkle them on everything :)

• Regina20/12/2019 - 7:55 pm

I’m allergic to cashews and swapped for boxed silken tofu (shelf-stable so it’s easy to keep on hand). It came out beautifully. Bonus: no need to soak! This is one of my favorite recipes you’ve made. It’s truly comforting. Thank you!ReplyCancel

• Debbie24/12/2019 - 9:24 am

This recipe looks great and I’m making it tonight for Xmas eve.
    Wondering if you know that there are ads for steaks 3 times while scrolling thru recipe thou. One has a picture of a big raw steak. The ads are from a company called 44 steaks. Just thought you would want to know.
    Love all your recipes online and your cookbook is my most used. thanks.ReplyCancel

• Laura29/12/2019 - 10:18 am

Hi Debbie,
      I appreciate this feedback and will bring it to my ad provider.

• Sarah20/01/2020 - 12:21 pm

I LOVE this recipe. I’ve made this on 3 separate occasions for parties and get togethers, and each time it has been devoured so quickly. This dip is so surprising. It’s creamy, perfectly tangy and delightfully spicy. It’s a dream, and it comes together quickly too.ReplyCancel

• Megan04/02/2020 - 2:12 pm

Turned out really good! Will definitely be keeping this one!ReplyCancel

• Sara07/02/2020 - 10:47 pm

I’ve been making one recipe of yours after the next after the next lately because they’re all so good. I made this one for just me and my partner to snack on, but I wouldn’t hesitate to serve it at a party. I’ve never been drawn to artichoke-spinach dips, butI love the idea of using kale here, which really holds on to its robust texture in a warm dip, unlike spinach. It was perfectly creamy and just a little bit spicy–a complete winner.ReplyCancel

• Laura10/02/2020 - 12:45 pm

So glad that you enjoyed it, Sara! Thanks for this feedback :)

• Caitlin22/02/2020 - 7:04 pm

Boyfriend bought me your cookbook for Christmas and prior to, I had never heard of your food blog. Now, I am always looking through your cookbook and online for meals and appetizers- especially when we’re entertaining. I made this dip today for a potluck and it is SO GOOD!

I used roasted cashews and found that I needed to add about 1/2 cup of water to the cashew cream to get the right consistency. Other than that, the recipe was super simple to follow and I’m excited to hear what my guests have to say… if there is any left by the time the party starts!! :)ReplyCancel

• Mary09/04/2020 - 3:03 am

I absolutely love this dip! My husband and I look for excuses to make it again, and we are now up to four! The balance of everything is just perfect, and we love it with fresh veg like cauliflower and carrots, with crackers, pita bread or focaccia bread!ReplyCancel