My cookbook features some excellent vegan and seasonal pasta inspiration as well!
Seven ingredients and some seasonal abundance will give you this warm and cozy corn and lemon pasta with thyme. It couldn’t be easier to make and the flavour will blow your mind. Think: the creamiest, super buttery, lightly sweet, and concentrated vegan corn chowder vibes PLUS pasta. It will knock you out seriously. It’s a champ among summery plant-based dinner recipes!
My original recipe concept for this was actually a corn chowder ravioli! I thought I would stuff fresh sheets of pasta with a heavily thickened and lightly pureed vegan corn chowder. I knew that I could get all the deliciousness out of that idea with an easy vegan pasta recipe that’s ready in 40 minutes!
Can you make this with fresh or frozen corn? Honestly both will work, but fresh, in season summer corn really is ideal for this warm pasta. We use lots of lemon and thyme in the sauce because they pair so perfectly with that fresh corn. If you’re out of the peak season, maybe some vegan pesto pasta instead?
I recommend serving this with some vegan “parmesan,” extra freshly ground black pepper, and chili flakes. This is a simple, pared down pasta that requires very little interference if you’re using peak summer corn. I try to not be exclusive about ingredients, but this is a recipe where the freshest, most in-season option pays off.
We use the starchy pasta water and the corn itself to create a super thick sauce. You could certainly add some chopped hearty greens (kale, chard) to the creamy corn and lemon pasta to fill it out. We enjoyed ours straight up, piping hot from the pan :).
Creamy Corn and Lemon Pasta with Thyme
- 8oz (226 grams) shaped pasta of choice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, small dice (about 1/2 cup diced shallot)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 4 cobs fresh corn, kernels removed (about 4 cups corn kernels total)
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup unsweetened non-dairy creamer of choice
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- For serving: vegan “parmesan,” extra black pepper, and chili flakes
- There are so few ingredients in this pasta, so the quality of each will really stand out. Fresh, summer corn really is best here.
- I’ve been using the nutpods unsweetened oat creamer for savoury dishes lately and it’s really great! You could also quickly blend ¼ cup of raw cashews with ½ cup of water for some “cream” here.
- I really recommend serving this pasta with some vegan “parmesan” (quick recipe here) and chili flakes.
- Don’t forget to save at least one cup of pasta cooking water!
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of the salted, starchy pasta water before draining.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Pour in the olive oil and swirl it around. Add the shallots and stir. Keep sautéing and stirring the shallots until they are very soft, about 4 minutes. Add the thyme and cook for an additional minute, being careful to not allow the shallots to brown on the edges.
- Add the corn kernels to the skillet and stir. Season the corn liberally with salt and pepper. Keep sautéing and stirring until the corn is tender and bright yellow, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer half of the sautéed corn mixture to an upright blender. Pour in ½ cup of pasta cooking water, non-dairy creamer, nutritional yeast, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Blend this mixture on high until completely smooth and creamy.
- Pour the pureed creamy corn mixture back into the skillet with the remaining corn. Add the drained pasta to the skillet as well, along with some more salt and pepper. Stir to evenly coat the pasta. Bring the pasta up to a strong simmer, adding more of the pasta cooking water if it seems to be drying out a bit. Taste the pasta to check for seasoning and add more salt, pepper, or lemon juice to your liking.
- Serve the pasta hot with vegan “parmesan,” ground black pepper, and chili flakes.