My man had a scratchy throat the other night, so I came up with this concoction and made a double batch. His throat felt better afterward and even though I wasn’t detecting a hint of sickness in myself, I felt extra soothed for the evening. Also, I’ll jump on any opportunity to get some extra turmeric in. This tea has just the right mix of sweet, sour, and hot. Aside from the fresh turmeric, it’s all typical healthy pantry stuff. I’m mostly hunkering down and powering through some work this weekend so that I can be worry-free when we get on that plane next Thursday. I hope you’re all up to some things that are just a little bit more exciting ;) Here’s a few links and things that caught my eye this week. xo!
Write and meditate. Every day. Also, the part about trying to get people to think you’re cool so that you don’t have to like/love yourself is one big truth bomb just popping off.
An illuminating IKEA product name breakdown. Nätt!
Bowl food (sorry #bowlfood) really is a certified social media sensation.
6,000 pounds of food grown on 1/10th of an acre. When the supply chain begins and ends with your own hard work, it’s total freedom.
All the coconut oil beauty hacks. I do 2, 4, and 9 (with a drop of peppermint essential oil in the mix) regularly.
I vaguely discussed my workouts in the last post, but my thing right now is HIIT (high intensity interval training). I feel like such a boss afterward. Plus I’m convinced that it’s keeping me a bit toastier/more glow-y on these cold days.
Speaking of working it out: this company sent me the best, most beautiful yoga mat I’ve ever used. The surface of it is so unique–almost towel-ish, which is great for the times where you’re really breaking that sweat.
A refugee cat is reunited with its family and don’t mind me, just crying at my desk now.
Overwhelmed by large scale/immersive art, and how Instagram brings the experience to people who would never step foot in a museum.
Next on my reading list. Eating that dirt!
On solitude, creativity, priorities, and giving your mind what it needs. “Thinking about one thing at a time. How often are you actually doing that?”
Behind the scenes at the Westminster Dog Show. That pug getting a jowl massage, seriously.
Feel Better Tea
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- small pinch of sea salt
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled + finely grated with a rasp
- 1/2 inch piece of fresh turmeric, peeled + finely grated with a rasp
- small pinch of cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 cup boiling water
- I use a little bit of pineapple juice here. I keep it on hand this time of year in case of sore throats and other head cold issues because it really seems to tame the burn. You could use the same amount of unclarified apple juice in its place with equally delicious results.
- If you can’t find fresh turmeric, feel free to replace it with a 1/2 teaspoon of the powdered variety.
- In your serving mug, combine the pineapple juice, lemon juice, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, and salt.
- In a re-usable or disposable paper tea filter, combine the grated ginger, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. Place the filter in the mug.
- Pour the hot water over top of the filter and pineapple juice mixture. Make sure that the ginger mixture is submerged. Let the tea steep for at least 4 minutes. Serve hot.