Hearty chocolate oat smoothie is a healthy but indulgent-feeling breakfast option. Super satisfying and just so delicious!
First bevvy post of 2019! It’s a good one, promise. I enjoy VERY thick smoothies and after drinking freezing cold shakes with a ton of ice in them (or upwards of 2 whole frozen bananas lol), I eventually figured out that you can use a scoop of oats and it gets just as thick, but it’s also not like eating a snow cone.
I know that in Ayurveda and other health traditions, cold and raw foods are a no-no in the Winter, but I just can’t seem to give them up! I love big living salads, fresh juices, and of course smoothies all year. If my body craves it, why deny it right? I feel like adding the oats is my attempt at meeting in the middle, so let’s just go with that. It makes the smoothie super filling too. Of course I made it chocolate-y and of course I gave you a load of options for customizing. Get this hearty chocolate oat smoothie in your life!
I am very excited for a calm weekend of absolutely NOTHING. Haven’t had one of those in a bit. I’m going to finally take down my outdoor holiday decor even though I still think it’s beautiful and would keep it forever if I could. We’ll take the dogs for some long hikes (and they’ll probably still be so hype when we get home). I’m going to test some blog recipes and maybe make some pizza too. Laundry, reading, sweatpants, nice long baths, snuggling by the fire. Can’t. Freakin’. Wait. Hope you all have a great weekend! Here’s some links to check out if you’re bored :)
How badly do I wanna try this LED light therapy acne mask? Pretty badly!
Courses on how to be a successful influencer/blogger run rampant this time of year. I’ve never taken something like this, but feedback that I get from others is that the courses are either amazing or a total rip off. This particular one profiled by The Cut sounds disastrous, opportunistic, and honestly anything that has a whiff of multi-level marketing makes me cringe.
More on multi-level/pyramid marketing scams on this new-ish podcast The Dream. I get enraged listening to it, but it’s a productive kind of rage lol.
“A red-robed monk effortlessly leapt up and shattered the backboard.”
When a 15 year old condemns the world’s inaction on climate change: “You are not mature enough to tell it like it is. Even that burden you leave to your children.”
In stuff you probably already knew: “…scientists warned that huge reductions in meat eating are required if the world is to stave off dangerous climate change, with beef consumption in western countries needing to drop by 90%, replaced by five times more beans and pulses.”
Same climate warnings, different packaging from Bloomberg: “Ultimately, if people worldwide who heavily rely on meat switch to a more plant-based diet, they could potentially decrease food-related greenhouse-gas emissions by almost half by 2050.”
My Canadian queen Celine Dion going OFF at Lady Gaga’s Las Vegas show. I love them both, always and forever.
Cannot wait to start reading Circe! What books have you been enjoying lately?
An otter rubbing its face for your daily dose of cuteness.
Hearty Chocolate Oat Smoothie
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (or other nut/seed butter)
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large ripe banana, preferably frozen
- pinch sea salt
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder optional
- ¼ cup ice optional
- In an upright blender, combine the non-dairy milk, oats, almond butter, cocoa powder, flax seeds, vanilla, banana, salt, cinnamon, protein powder (if using), and ice (if using). Put the lid on and bring the blender speed up to high. Blend until the smoothie is totally smooth and frothy. Enjoy immediately!
- Feel free to add a pitted medjool date to this mix if you prefer your smoothies a bit sweeter!
- Other additions that are great in this smoothie: a handful of mild greens like baby spinach, chia seeds (1 teaspoon), even a handful of an alternative smoothie thickener like frozen zucchini or cauliflower is amazing. Chocolate fixes all!