Learn how to make this thick and luscious Chocolate Sweet Potato Smoothie at home in 5 minutes with one simple prep step—it’s a delicious vegan breakfast smoothie with no banana! Made in the blender with nut milk, almond butter, cocoa powder and nibs, one date, chocolate protein powder and a cup of steamed and frozen sweet potato, this healthy sweet potato smoothie strikes a nice balance between creamy and wholesome. It’s perfectly sweet and so satiating, and best served straight away to preserve the frothy texture.
Wow, I was not prepared for how much I would love this smoothie! The chocolate flavour is unexpectedly deep. Cocoa powder and cacao nibs (plus a scoop of your fave chocolate protein powder) compliment the natural sweetness of sweet potato so well! Additional flavour from cinnamon, vanilla, a caramel-y date, roasted almond butter, and tangy vegan yogurt plays a big part as well.
I always try to come up with banana-free smoothies here when I can. I know that some folks have an aversion to the flavour or simply want to shake it up. The steamed and frozen sweet potato does all the work here (along with a little bit of ice), getting so velvety and thick. If you need to hide some veg, this sweet potato shake is a great strategy. Fans of this might also like my vanilla chip smoothie.
How to prep sweet potato for a smoothie:
- Consuming raw sweet potato can cause digestive issues for some folks, so I prefer cooked sweet potato in a smoothie. Cooking also enhances the natural sweetness!
- To prep for smoothies, I peel and chop sweet potatoes first. Then I steam or boil them until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- From here, I lay the cooked sweet potatoes out on a parchment lined baking sheet and slide that into the freezer.
- Once frozen, I transfer the sweet potato chunks to a bag or container for storage. These will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Almond butter, sweet potatoes, a little bit of vegan protein powder… that sounds like breakfast to me! But I swear that this blended concoction truly tastes like a dessert. Other great ways to boost this one: flax or chia seeds, a scoop of wheat bran, or 1/4 cup of rolled oats. My new favourite vegan smoothie for sure. Hopefully it’ll be yours too!
My Favourite Vegan Protein
I recommend boosting this smoothie with Sprout Living’s Epic Protein in the Chocolate Maca flavour! Not overly sweet, mixes in silky smooth, and no weird ingredients. Use code: thefirstmess for 20% off!
Chocolate Sweet Potato Smoothie
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (an "unsweetened vanilla" variety is nice here!)
- ¼ cup plain non-dairy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cacao nibs
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Medjool date, pitted
- 1 heaped cup frozen cooked sweet potato chunks (see note)
- handful ice
- For frozen sweet potato chunks: I peel and chop sweet potatoes and steam them until tender (about 10-15 minutes). Then I lay them out on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place them in the freezer until frozen. Then, I place the chunks in a bag/container to save space.
- My favourite non-dairy yogurts are Yoggu! or Culina.
- Fun and fiber-ful ways to boost this smoothie: 1-2 teaspoons chia/flax seeds, 1 tablespoon wheat bran, or 1/4 cup rolled oats.
- In an upright blender, combine the non-dairy milk, non-dairy yogurt, almond butter, vanilla, chocolate protein powder, cocoa powder, cacao nibs, cinnamon, sea salt, pitted Medjool date, frozen sweet potato chunks, and ice. Blend on high until completely smooth, about 1 minute. Enjoy immediately.