The vegan peach crumble shake is a refreshing and filling summer breakfast with oats, baking spices, fresh and frozen peaches and nut milk.
Once August is here, I make versions of this peach crumble shake pretty much every day. Sometimes I’ll use a handful of berries in the mix, some greens, but the basic formula is always there. Oats in breakfast-y shakes is something I’ve been doing for a while. It brings the thickness to a shake/smoothie that tends to lessen the need for banana or another texture-enhancing fruit. Sometimes you’re just not in the mood for the taste of banana!
We are heading out for a little overnight trip at Mark’s friends’ place this weekend. I’m tasked with making a side/sides for dinner and thankfully, Kristin Donnelly’s Modern Potluck came in the mail this week. You’ll be hearing more about this one from me, but let me just say that for now, the timing could not have been better. Hope you’re all enjoying these winding-down weeks of summer. Here’s a few links and things that caught my eye :)
Bummed that I saw this long after finals season, but do I love that Doris Burke.
On figs, those “enclosed flowers that bloom modestly inward.”
New podcast alert! Plant Gourmet is all about higher level vegan/plant-based food and the incredible people behind it. Cannot wait to listen to the Beyond Sushi episode.
Would you give up coffee and alcohol for a year if it meant less stress, more sleep, and more money? I honestly think I could go without booze entirely, but coffee is something I might enjoy too much to give up. And I only started drinking it in my late 20’s!
I only have one question/concern with this simple tomato tartine recipe offered up on a blog to much social media backlash: why isn’t it in my face right this second? I love those reminders that food can be simply good in a minimal way and I also detest the quickness to judge on social media. (I made a version right after I saw this)
Some of this relates to my comments on Instagram Stories/Snapchat in my last post: on silencing your inner critic.
Vegan Peach Crumble Shake
- 2 ripe peaches – pitted, sliced and frozen
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 1 pitted Medjool date
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- big squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, optional
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup filtered water
- I used my cashew pecan milk for the non-dairy milk here. SO good! But any milk will due.
- The lemon juice seems weird, but is necessary to lift up some of the oat-y, sweet flavours here. If you have orange juice around, a splash of that might work too.
- I don’t want to sound too precious, but slicing and freezing ripe summer peaches is pretty crucial to the success of this one. The bagged frozen peaches in the freezer aisle have less peachy flavour and skew more towards neutral.
- In an upright blender, combine the frozen peaches, oats, date, chia seeds, almond butter, lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla, protein powder (if using) non-dairy milk, and water. Blend on high until thoroughly combined and frothy. It’ll be super thick! Enjoy immediately.