THE BEST MARINATED LENTILS FROM “OH SHE GLOWS EVERY DAY”

the best marinated lentils from "Oh She Glows Every Day" - The First Messpin it!the best marinated lentils from "Oh She Glows Every Day" - The First Messpin it!the best marinated lentils from "Oh She Glows Every Day" - The First Messpin it!the best marinated lentils from "Oh She Glows Every Day" - The First Messpin it!
When I was in culinary school full time, I was also holding down two jobs, a volunteer position, and about a million extra-curricular school activities. I’m not sure how this happened because my prior go at post-secondary education had me focusing strictly on academics as a method of survival. Anything extra while class was in session seemed un-necessary, and frankly, a little too much for me to handle. The workload was different with culinary school, and because I felt like I was really in my element, I said yes to pretty much any learning opportunity that came my way.

One of those jobs afforded me a little bit of leisure time in the form of internet browsing/total click hole submersion. This was around the time that I discovered the Oh She Glows blog. I was a new-ish vegan and just so excited to find this resource of recipes and general lifestyle/health and wellness inspiration. It was the first blog that I read with frequency because a) blogs were still new to me, and b) Angela was so relatable and generous with everything she offered in her space. Up until then, I had been seeking out my plant-based cooking inspiration almost entirely in the form of books. Oh She Glows opened up a whole new world to me, and no doubt majorly inspired the work that I do now. I think a lot of plant-based and health-conscious bloggers can say that!

Angela and I share a few things in common: we’re both based in southern Ontario and we have the same publishing team for our books. Her first book is pretty much my go-to for desserts, or inspiration when I need a bit of a kick in the butt to eat better. When the team at Penguin Canada asked me to offer a cover quote for her new book back in March, it was quite significant for me. It felt like something had come full circle in that moment. The opportunities that come my way–I never take them lightly. I feel genuinely blessed (not just hashtag #blessed) to do what I do and to live this life, always. But I also realize that a lot of these things never would have come into fruition if I hadn’t been exposed to the work of people like Angela.

It’s always been hard for me to take ownership of my career when people ask what I do for a living. When I try to unpack exactly what I do for people, without also boring them to death, sometimes I know that all they’re hearing is “stays home and Instagrams pictures of food all day.” This insecurity led me to hang on to a restaurant job longer than I should have because I wanted people to know that I also had a “real” job. When I came back from Hawaii last March, finished up the first round of my own cookbook edits, and then was asked to take a look at Oh She Glows Every Day, I knew that I needed to start owning this blog, the book, and all of the other work that spills out from both. It was a pivotal moment of swirling energy and emotion that was telling me to go all-in to the tune of 110%.

So for ALL of that, I have to thank Angela. And I also have to thank her for the incredible new book and this marinated lentil recipe. My tendency is to always overcomplicate food, even if it doesn’t seem like it here. Sometimes a recipe serves as a potent reminder to just let things taste of what they are with extra freshness. This dish comes together so fast. While the lentils cook, you make the marinade and chop some herbs. Toss it all together and lunch is pretty much sorted for the week. Easy, delicious, and totally energizing food–my forever-favourite. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, but the recipes in this book will keep me in there even more. Ashley McLaughlin‘s photos are so crisp and appetizing throughout, and literally every recipe feels like it’s within reach at a moment’s notice. A few things I have bookmarked: the all purpose vegan cheese sauce, the peanut better balls, golden French lentil stew, Angela’s version of shepherd’s pie, and the apple pie overnight oats. Not sure if it’s obvious, but I’m ready for the cozy, autumnal food times to begin ;) This book will help you get into that sweet spot where comfort meets high vibes AND accessibility. A total, total slam dunk.

THE BEST MARINATED LENTILS RECIPE
From Oh She Glows Every Day. Copyright © 2016, Glo Bakery Corporation. Reprinted by permission of Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited.
SERVES: Makes 4 cups
NOTES: For this post, I did mine up as a little Mediterranean-style plate because I had some tasty homemade hummus and some well-suited vegetables on hand. But I also ate these lentils on kale salads, scooped up with Mary’s Crackers, and with some sautéed  broccoli and a little topper of ripe avocado. So diverse! One little thing worthy of mention: I used my own slow-roasted tomatoes instead of the sun-dried tomatoes–just because I had them on hand and knew they would be so tasty here.

1 cup uncooked French green lentils
1/2 cup uncooked green or brown lentils
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons  red wine vinegar, or to taste
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 to 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced green onions (about 1 medium bunch), dark and light green parts only
1/3 cup fresh parsley leaves, minced
1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped

Pick over the lentils, discarding any debris. Rinse and drain the lentils and put them in a medium saucepan along with 4 cups (1 L) of water. Bring to a boil over medium to high heat, then reduce the heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes, until tender.

In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, maple syrup, salt, and pepper. Stir in the green onions, parsley, and tomatoes.

Drain the lentils very well. Spoon them into the bowl with the other ingredients (it’s okay if they are still warm) and stir well. Season with additional salt and pepper.

Serve immediately, or let cool slightly and then cover and marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight. Stir well before serving. This dish will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week, or you can freeze it in a freezer-safe zip-top bag with the air pressed out for up to 1 month. After thawing, I recommend adding extra dressing and salt to liven it up again.

• It’s great to read this story. It was pretty much similar with me and my blog. I’m definitely getting this book :DReplyCancel

• Hungry One07/09/2016 - 4:59 am

Looks good. Guess you could just as well stuff it all in some pita bread. Maybe add some minty-yoghurt sauce. Oh, I’m so going to do this.ReplyCancel

• Mary Mentzer07/09/2016 - 6:43 am

well! great recipes! It looks so healthy. Let me try it out..and then give you the feedback! :)ReplyCancel

• Kellie07/09/2016 - 9:14 am

What a great story and tribute. As much as you thank Angela, I think she owes you a huge thanks with this review. I’ve noticed more and more how other bloggers are reviewing books and this one is glowing, you can buy this stuff.
    Kellie from Princess and The Yard ApeReplyCancel

• Abby @ Heart of a Baker07/09/2016 - 10:24 am

Oh girl, those peanut butter balls are AMAZING! I made a half batch last week, only to eat them all in a few days :/ These lentils have been on my to make list ever since I got the book, so good!ReplyCancel

• Sophie07/09/2016 - 12:44 pm

Damn girl, this looks absolutely incredible! It’s definitely the next recipe I want to make from this beautiful book. Thanks a million for the share xox. P.S Your book is the next book I absolutely cannot wait for <3ReplyCancel

• Sarah | Well and Full07/09/2016 - 2:50 pm

YES I’m not the only one!! I too have such a hard time owning up to my blogging career, and it’s because I also feel like it’s not a “real” job (read: instagramming food pics all day). And especially with my parents/grandparents generations, they don’t understand blogging as a job. But it takes so much work to do what we do, and we should be proud of it! I know it’s a journey to this feeling, though, and I accept that. But it infinitely reassures me that you’ve had these feelings too! Especially since you have one of the most beautiful food blogs out there :)ReplyCancel

• sarah07/09/2016 - 5:33 pm

It’s Angela brownies on page 199, that had me sold on the book.I bought it yesterday, just for that recipe and the beautiful photos. I just couldn’t take my eyes of the book.

Angela was also one of the first favorite plant-based bloggers I started reading years ago, then Sarah Britton, and then you Laura. Your blog I seem to come to your space the most often because 90% of the time, when I’m in a food rut, I something I love here and I just happen to have everything in my pantry (this is really rare). I don’t find this on any other blog. So thank you for all your hard work and yummy content, and I can’t wait for your book to come outReplyCancel

• Brenna07/09/2016 - 6:40 pm

Hey Laura! When is your cookbook set to be released? I can’t wait!!ReplyCancel

• Laura09/09/2016 - 2:49 pm

Hi Brenna! The release date is March 7th, 2017. Pre-order is available now, too :)

• Kate12/09/2016 - 7:30 pm

YAY! Just ordered it. :)ReplyCancel

• Connie07/09/2016 - 9:03 pm

Love your story. Your hard work has paid off! I didn’t know Angela came out with a new cookbook. I’ll have to get her latest. Thanks for posting this delicious recipe! Excited to try!ReplyCancel

• La petite poire08/09/2016 - 3:09 pm

WOW! What a wonderfully versatile recipe. I love the fact that literally you could serve these next to many many other dishes. Beautiful photos and a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing, these lentils look “oh so yummy!” ReplyCancel

• Allyson08/09/2016 - 4:13 pm

Oh man these look delicious.ReplyCancel

• marshablog.com09/09/2016 - 12:58 am

You make me so hungry, these look delicious and lovely. Thanks for sharing this recipe!ReplyCancel

• Angela09/09/2016 - 1:42 pm

Laura, I can’t thank you enough for your kind words. They truly blew me away! I honestly had no idea that my blog was one of the first you started to read. It’s so funny to me that you had that full circle moment because I totally felt the same way when I was asked to do the same for your book! Your writing, photography, and recipes have always been a huge inspiration to me, and I really can’t thank you enough. (and these might be some of my fave photos I’ve seen on your blog! Holy moly, girl!!)ReplyCancel

• Angela09/09/2016 - 1:43 pm

I meant to add that I am counting down the days until your book comes out! It’s going to blow everyone away.ReplyCancel

• […] that I am itching to try next are Angela’s golden french lentil stew, mushroom bolognese, and the best marinated lentils. Others from the book calling my name are the chewy molasses spelt cookies, sun dried tomato pasta, […]ReplyCancel

• […] some more great recipes from OSG Everyday –Pumpkin Cupcakes, Coffee Shop Worthy Milk, The Best Marinated Lentils, and this Mushroom […]ReplyCancel

• […] I had such a difficult time picking a recipe to share in this post that I ended up making and photographing two recipes—High Rise Pumpkin Cupcakes and The Best Marinated Lentils. Then, I peaked at other bloggers’ review posts to see which recipes had been shared and ultimately chose the cupcakes because the lentils had been already been slathered with well-deserved attention and praise. If you want to make the lentils (do it—they’re amazing), checkout Laura Wright’s stunning review post. […]ReplyCancel

• Dana27/09/2016 - 11:54 am

Love this recipe! I have a serving suggestion: Place a mound of the marinated lentils on top of a baked, halved acorn squash. Best served warm. Beautiful presentation and delicious!ReplyCancel

• […] made the best marinated lentils from the book a couple times already and they might be my new go-to lentil recipe. A few other […]ReplyCancel

• […] fait le plat de lentilles marinées quelques fois déjà et elles sont devenues ma nouvelle façon préférée de manger des […]ReplyCancel

• Lyn08/10/2016 - 6:51 am

Lovely tribute.ReplyCancel

• […] Marinated Lentil Salad– We’ve been enjoying this for lunches a lot recently. I make a double batch of it and combine it with a half batch of Alton Brown’s hummus on the side, as well as cucumber slices and pita chips. Only gets better the longer it marinates. […]ReplyCancel

• […] different versions of the same ingredient: Melissa wanted to make these marinated lentils from the new Oh She Glows cookbook (which, btw, looks super awesome, even for a non-vegan such as […]ReplyCancel