Crispy coconut tofu lettuce wraps are crunchy, baked, lightly spiced, and perfect with sweet chili sauce in a fresh lettuce wrap. Easy vegan recipe!
Haven’t posted here in a bit, and it’s just so nice to be back! We had a family emergency last week with our little pup Mickie. She’s on the mend now, but things got a bit scary for a while there. All routine and any semblance of proper eating/taking care of ourselves was thrown out the window. Our girl is still recovering, but I’m grateful to be back in the routine of working and just normal day-to-day living. The little things in life are the big things!
I’ve got a fun little lettuce wrap recipe with crispy coconut tofu for you today. The inspiration here is definitely that ubiquitous coconut-battered and fried shrimp That you may or may not see on a beachside pool bar menu. I guess with the stress of last week I was just thinking of total beach vibes? Whatever the case, this tofu is way better than shrimp (for so many reasons) and you can fix these up pretty quickly.
More Great Vegan Tofu Recipes:
- Spicy Grilled Tofu with Pineapple & Herbed Cauliflower Rice
- Crispy Sesame Garlic Tofu
- Summer Veg and Tofu Skewers with Blueberry BBQ Sauce
- Cold Noodle Salad with Seared Tofu and Zingy Almond Butter Sauce
There is a typical wet and dry batter setup for this recipe. Once you have your stations lined up, this crispy coconut tofu is pretty easy. Also, we’re baking these golden nuggets, rather than frying. You could certainly fry them if you feel up to it! The baking is a bit lazier though, which is more my pace these days.
Hope that you get a chance to try these! See you back here soon :)
Crispy Coconut Tofu Lettuce Wrap with Sweet Chili Sauce
Crispy Coconut Tofu
- ⅔ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 400 gram package extra firm tofu, pressed
- avocado oil spray or other oil spread of choice
Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons tamari or coconut aminos
- sturdy and crisp lettuce leaves
- sliced green onions
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk, spelt flour, arrowroot powder, lime juice, salt and pepper until smooth. Set aside
- In a shallow dish, combine the shredded coconut, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix evenly. Set aside.
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes. Place it in the non-dairy milk mixture and toss with a spatula to coat.
- Working quickly, transfer the tofu cubes from the non-dairy milk mixture over to the coconut mixture. Gently press the tofu into the coconut mixture to coat on all sides.
- Spray the parchment lined baking sheet with avocado oil spray. Place the coated tofu cubes on the parchment with space around each cube. Then spray the tofu cubes with avocado oil spray again.
- Slide the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Then, remove the tofu from the oven. Carefully flip over each piece of tofu with tongs. Return the tofu to the oven to bake for another 8 minutes, or until all sides are slightly golden and crisp.
- While tofu is baking, make the sweet chili sauce. In a medium bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, lime juice, chili garlic sauce, agave nectar, avocado oil, and tamari until combined.
- Serve the crispy coconut tofu in lettuce wraps with drizzles of the sweet chili sauce and a sprinkle of sliced green onions. Enjoy immediately!
- Pressing the tofu is key so that all of the excess moisture comes out. Since we’re baking these little cubes, rather than frying, we need all the help we can get! A guide to pressing is here.