Learn how to make easy red wine vinegar dressing at home, simply shaken up in a jar in one step! In this 5-minute recipe, I show you my preferred olive oil red wine vinegar dressing ratio. Complimentary flavours of fresh garlic and thyme make this slightly sweet and tangy Italian-inspired dressing pop. It’s perfect for pouring over my pizza night salad or any green salad that you’re fixing up to go with dinner. Yields about 2 cups.
Red wine vinegar and oil dressing is a classic to have in your cooking repertoire! I make a double batch of this recipe every other week or so for pouring over green salads, vegan Cobb salad, and even simple slaws. I find that red wine vinegar is one of the best options for salad dressing.
Red Wine Salad Dressing Ingredients:
- Red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. The base is simple and pantry-friendly! I like to use a higher ratio of vinegar to oil than most (2:3) because I prefer a tangy dressing with a bit more punch.
- Vegan mayonnaise and Dijon mustard. Both ingredients help to emulsify the dressing. The mayonnaise gives it a slightly thicker consistency–it’s a small amount, but it makes a huge difference in the final outcome.
- Agave nectar or cane sugar. I prefer a slightly sweet red wine vinegar dressing that balances the tart aspects.
- Tamari soy sauce. A teaspoon of this gives the dressing craveable umami depth.
- Fresh garlic and thyme. The punchy flavour of garlic is a perfect match here and the herbaceous/earthy notes of fresh thyme work so well in this dressing. There is no substitute for either!
Once the garlic and thyme are minced up finely (I use a Microplane for the garlic), you just shake everything else up in a sealable jar. Simple! The dressing will keep in your fridge for up to two weeks.
This is one of the only consistent uses that I have for red wine vinegar in my cooking routine, but it’s pretty spectacular and versatile! I use the dressing in some form pretty much every week. I hope that you give it a try soon.
Easy Red Wine Vinegar Dressing with Thyme
- scant ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1-2 tablespoons agave nectar/fine cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Tamari soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced with a microplane
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup olive oil
- Fresh thyme makes a huge difference here and gives the dressing so much of its herbaceous flavour. I don’t think dried thyme is an adequate substitute.
- For a little extra kick, I like to add 2 tablespoons of pepperoncini or pickled jalapeño pepper brine sometimes!
- In a sealable jar, combine the red wine vinegar, thyme, vegan mayonnaise, agave nectar, Dijon mustard, Tamari, garlic, salt, and pepper. Seal the lid on top of the jar and give it a good shake. Open up the jar and add the olive oil. Seal the lid back on and give it another shake. Store in the fridge.
- This red wine vinegar dressing will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.