STUFFED & SAUCED SWEET POTATOES FROM “MINIMALIST BAKER’S EVERYDAY COOKING”

Stuffed + Sauced Sweet Potatoes with Ginger Lime Tahini - The First Mess #veganpin it!Stuffed + Sauced Sweet Potatoes with Ginger Lime Tahini - The First Messpin it!Vegan Stuffed + Sauced Sweet Potatoes with Ginger Lime Tahini - The First Messpin it!
The stuffed sweet potato is no stranger to our weekday dinnertimes, but this iteration is easily the best one we’ve had in a while. The tahini sauce here has a perfect amount of zip from fresh ginger and a whole lot of lime juice–just the way I like it. It kind of sparkles on the palette. The chickpeas get sautéed to the point of lightly crisp, meaty, and chewy, which makes a nice foil for the creamy sweet potato and sauce. Once you stitch it all together with a bunch of garnishes and some happy dots of hot sauce, it’s heaven on earth. Oh, aaand it only took me 25 minutes to make.

The tastiness, the ease, and the small time investment for this recipe didn’t surprise me at all because it came from my buddy Dana‘s new cookbook “Minimalist Baker’s Everyday Cooking.” Her recipe style is like a high five, over and over. If you’ve ever thought that healthy plant-based cooking might be just a little time-consuming at times, I bet you’ve found yourself at her site thinking that it’s all possible. Much like the blog, the cookbook features beautiful and wholesome recipes that are ready quickly, and all with accessible ingredients, too.

Sometimes approaching a specific need with plant-based cooking (a crowd-pleasing, hearty main for a potluck or a vegan + gluten-free dessert that tastes like its traditional counterpart) can be an overwhelming undertaking once you start googling. If I can’t figure this sort of thing out myself (or I just don’t have the patience to), Minimalist Baker is usually one of the sites I check first because I know I’ll find an answer/strategy 99% of the time. Hot tip: listen to Jessica’s interviews with Dana here and here to get more insight on what makes her tick.

This book really is an inspiring companion to all the hard work she does on the site. My favourite cookbooks are the ones that make me want to cook right away with ingredients that I have on hand. If you’re even a little bit like me in that regard, this one will become a fast favourite. A few other recipes I have lined up to make real soon: pizza burgers (with a quinoa and chickpea base!), the epic vegan nachos, garlic scalloped potatoes, and the gluten-free banana chocolate pecan muffins. I hope you guys get a chance to check this one out! Sending big hugs this week :)

Vegan Ginger Lime Tahini Sauce - The First Messpin it!Stuffed + Sauced Sweet Potatoes with Ginger Lime Tahini - The First Mess #veganpin it!Stuffed + Sauced Sweet Potatoes with Ginger Lime Tahini - The First Mess #veganpin it!
STUFFED + SAUCED SWEET POTATOES W/ GINGER LIME TAHINI RECIPE
From Minimalist Baker’s Everyday Cooking
SERVES: 4
NOTES: I feel like this would be a totally excellent “loaded fries” situation if you baked up your sweet potatoes as fries instead of halves. Just a thought ;) Both grocery stores I went to were out of cilantro (this is a recurring theme for me for some reason), so I just ripped up a bit of basil that I had on hand. I imagine lots of leafy herbs would be delicious with this recipe. In Dana’s recipe, she rubs the sweet potatoes with grapeseed oil before baking them, but I just set them face down on parchment and they turned out totally fine. Also, I made the sauce and then doubled it because it’s so delicious.

4 medium sweet potatoes, cut in half lengthwise

FOR THE CHICKPEAS:
2 teaspoons grapeseed or coconut oil
2 cups cooked chickpeas (roughly one 15-ounce can, drained)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari soy sauce
½ teaspoon chili garlic sauce/other hot sauce

FOR THE GINGER TAHINI SAUCE:

1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
¼ cup tahini
1 lime, juiced (about 2 tablespoons of juice)
1-2 tablespoons gluten-free tamari soy sauce
2-3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
½ teaspoon chili garlic sauce/other hot sauce
hot water to thin, about 2-3 tablespoons

FOR GARNISH:
2 green onions, sliced
¼ cup chopped cilantro (or other leafy herb)
sesame seeds
extra chili garlic sauce, or other hot sauce (I used Cholula)
lime wedges

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking dish with 2-inch sides with parchment paper. Set the sweet potatoes, flesh side down, onto the parchment. Bake sweet potatoes until they are tender all the way through, about 25 minutes.

While sweet potatoes bake, heat the grapeseed oil in medium skillet over medium heat. In a medium bowl, toss the chickpeas with the garlic powder, cumin, ginger, coriander, maple syrup, tamari, and hot sauce.

Transfer the chickpeas to the skillet. Sauté chickpeas until visibly browned and lightly dried. The spices should form a golden “crust” on the outside of the chickpeas. This should take about 5 minutes with intermittent stirring.

Using the same bowl that you tossed the chickpeas in, quickly whisk together the tahini sauce. Mix together the ginger, tahini, lime juice, tamari, maple syrup, and hot sauce. Once it’s totally smooth, add enough hot water to get the sauce to pourable consistency. Whisk thoroughly and set aside.

Place baked sweet potatoes on plates or a platter. Top the sweet potato halves with tahini sauce, the cooked chickpeas, green onions, cilantro/herbs, sesame seeds, and extra hot sauce. Serve lime wedges on the side. Enjoy immediately.

• Tori//Gringalicious04/05/2016 - 5:42 am

I’m can’t think of anything I’d love more than to be eating this right now! Omg, these look incredible and ginger tahini sauce, AGH I can’t handle it, YUM!! I really have to try these!ReplyCancel

• Laura06/05/2016 - 6:58 am

They seriously are the perfect dinner. Dana nailed it with this one!
      xo LReplyCancel

• Abby @ Heart of a Baker04/05/2016 - 9:07 am

I don’t loooove sweet potatoes (I know!), but these are making me change my tune! Killing it with the pictures girl :)ReplyCancel

• Laura06/05/2016 - 7:00 am

Ahahaha I feel like a lot of your comments generally start with “I don’t love [insert vegetable],” but I really do think you would love these all drowning in that tahini :D Thanks Abby xoxoReplyCancel

• Allyson04/05/2016 - 10:44 am

I’m slightly ashamed to admit that I’ve never stuffed a sweet potato before. I think it’s time I go mend the error of my ways, with tahini sauce and sauteed chickpeas.ReplyCancel

• Laura06/05/2016 - 7:01 am

Thanks Allyson! There’s so many directions you can go with it and they’re so easy. Hope you get to try this version of Dana’s :)
      xo LReplyCancel

• Hafsa04/05/2016 - 10:49 am

I really love sweet potatoes and your mouth watering recipe is cool. I am going to try this recipe soon. :)ReplyCancel

• Laura06/05/2016 - 7:01 am

Thanks so much, Hafsa! Hope you get a chance to try it.

• Nikki04/05/2016 - 12:43 pm

WHAT!! These look amazing!! I love sweet potatos so this needs to happen. Stunning photos, Xx

NikkiReplyCancel

• Sarah | Well and Full04/05/2016 - 5:55 pm

Such a great choice from the cookbook! Chickpeas + sweet potatoes are such an amazing combination. And as a food blogger, I know how awesome it is when you get to kind of take a break a little and cook using someone else’s recipe. It’s such a nice rest! And what better hands to be in than Dana’s :DReplyCancel

• Laura06/05/2016 - 7:03 am

I had a hard time deciding which recipe to choose if I’m being honest. Everything in the book looks so good! And you’re right, working from a book is such a nice break. Always reminds me of why I love cooking so much in the first place :)
      xo LReplyCancel

• Jodi04/05/2016 - 7:16 pm

Yum yum yum. Never have enough variations of stuffed sweet potatoes, and this one looks bomb. Those crispy meaty chickpeas are the perfect addition, love Dana’s cooking style :) xxReplyCancel

• Laura06/05/2016 - 7:05 am

I could eat variations of stuffed sweet potatoes almost every night and never get bored. The texture combo of the chickpeas and sweet potatoes in this one is so great. Hope you get a chance to check out Dana’s book!
      xo LReplyCancel

• Jessie Snyder | Faring Well05/05/2016 - 12:32 am

Yes to everything you said here – this book is magic, just like Dana’s blog! I love it’s approachability – and being so delicious I feel like it would fool anyone as “healthy” food. These potatoes are so cozy! Perfect for the overcast day we had today. Gotta try that tahini ;) XOReplyCancel

• Laura06/05/2016 - 7:08 am

So happy that you’re loving Dana’s book too, girl. And it’s true: she could make a health nut out of anyone with these recipes. You will loooove this tahini sauce. I’ve tried a million variations and this one is easily one of my favourites.
      xoxo LReplyCancel

• Gemma05/05/2016 - 3:04 am

Exquisite recipe! Thanks for sharing :)ReplyCancel

• Amanda | What's Cooking05/05/2016 - 1:06 pm

Thank you so much for this post! I love your site and the minimalist baker, but how on earth have i only just discovered Jessica?! I’ve spent all day on her site listening to podcasts and it’s really been so great. My husband recently has found out that he has high cholesterol and triglycerides genetically and we really need to limit his fats, sugars, carbs, etc and we’ve been trying to embrace the changes. The doctor told us not to go to extremes, but when it’s someone you love it’s hard not to. In true cook form, I’ve embraced the challenges and what an amazing thing to find a community of people who’ve already embraced and have fallen in love with alternative diets.ReplyCancel

• Laura06/05/2016 - 7:12 am

So happy to introduce you to Jess’s amazing podcast. She always has such inspiring guests and her interview style is so natural. Plus, she’s a pal of mine so this is extra good news. That’s amazing that you’re stepping up to the challenge of overhauling you and your husband’s diet for his health, and going all the way with it. Best of luck going ahead with it all :)

• Sara @ Cake Over Steak05/05/2016 - 2:28 pm

This sounds sooooo good and your photos are drool-worthy. Just gorgeous.ReplyCancel

• Maya | Spice + Sprout06/05/2016 - 10:00 am

I make tahini sauce in so many variations at least twice a week, this one looks like a winner! I am really into recipes right now that are cozy and fresh, kind of replicating the spring weather outside! Gorgeous photos as always <3ReplyCancel

• Cassie06/05/2016 - 1:33 pm

Those sweet potatoes look BEE-YOO-TIFUL! This is such an amazing recipe for brunch or dinner!ReplyCancel

• Evie07/05/2016 - 1:14 pm

Thank you for the awesome recipe…just made it for dinner…big hit with the family :)ReplyCancel

• Stephanie Park07/05/2016 - 6:05 pm

You made these sweet potatoes look beautiful!!! I totally feel you – I just got her cookbook last week, and found myself immediately bookmarking SO many recipes! Can’t wait to try them all this summer xxReplyCancel

• Alexandra10/05/2016 - 7:15 am

This dish looks so filling and satisfying, and is a perfect example why meat and dairy aren’t everything.

Beautiful work with these photos :)ReplyCancel

• Marianne20/05/2016 - 6:01 pm

This looks a little bit too delicious. I need it now. Definitely trying these out!ReplyCancel

• Veronica Lee25/05/2016 - 5:33 am

Good morning Laura,

Regarding the stuffed + sauced sweet potatoes I made this recipe recently and it was delightful, I’m just curious as to how your ginger tahini sauce turned out so white in colour, mine was much darker I used crushed garlic as I had no garlic sauce to hand would that have made a difference ?

Your blog is amazing, colourful, artistic and inspirational.

best regards,

Veronica.ReplyCancel

• Laura25/05/2016 - 6:27 am

Hi Veronica,
      Thanks so much for this comment. I’m not totally sure why my sauce appears more pale… It could just be the lighting in the photographs? The tahini that I used was super fresh, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. I might have to go make it again to see ;)

• carolyn26/05/2016 - 8:18 pm

Just made these for dinner and was blown away by both the awesome flavors of the sauce/chickpea/sweet potato combo and the fact that it took a half hour….served with sauteed garlicky greens…Delicious!!!!ReplyCancel

• […] featured our Thai Baked Sweet Potatoes (serious […]ReplyCancel

• Lynn30/08/2016 - 8:19 am

I made this. Two nights in a row….
    Amazing dish and beautiful to look at!
    LynnReplyCancel

• […] Baked Stuffed Sweet Potato – I added quinoa and sauteed spinach to this recipe and omitted the chickpeas (because I was lazy).  I also roasted some broccoli and red onion with the sweet potato.  I did make the sauce from this recipe though and it was delicious! – http://thefirstmess.com/2016/05/04/vegan-stuffed-sauced-sweet-potatoes-recipe/#more-6887 […]ReplyCancel

• kristin16/04/2017 - 7:47 pm

hi! I saw your posts on Healthy-ish and got excited about ramps, too! I made this sauce, I just love tahini- and because of the soy sauce it turned very dark. How come your pictures have a lovely creamy sauce?ReplyCancel

• Laura17/04/2017 - 8:22 am

Hi Kristin,
      I’m honestly not sure why your sauce turned out darker! Any time I mix tahini and water for a sauce, I get a very light/creamy-looking result. Dana suggests 1-2 tablespoons for this sauce, and I only go with the 1. Did you use the full 2 tablespoons (and also the full 3 tablespoons of maple syrup)? Other than this possibility, I’m stumped.

• Kristin Sjaarda21/04/2017 - 11:12 am

Probably too much soy sauce. It’s a bit salty but still good with veggies. thanks for your response!ReplyCancel