Beet and blood orange spice smoothie is a great Winter refresher that’s tasty and filling. Perfect for a healthy breakfast or hearty snack.
The polar vortex is over! This week made me seriously stir crazy. The upside to being stuck in the house though? Lots of time to cook and dream up new recipes for you all. Got some good ones lined up!
Hope you’re all set for a nice weekend, whatever you’re up to. I think we’re making pizza for Super Bowl Sunday and also planning on taking our dogs for an extra long walk to make up for the lack of exercise this week. It’s tough when it gets this cold! Both dogs can’t stand wearing booties, but also their legs stop working after about 5 minutes outside in sub-zero temperatures. You can only play so many games of hide and seek before they figure out all the treat hiding spots lol.
So happy to leave you with this deep pink smoothie and some links to check out. I love a good beet-based smoothie and this one is perfect for winter with the tart blood orange and warm spices. It’s a lovely base for all kinds of custom add-ins too. More beet smoothie love in the form of a berry beet velvet smoothie and a hot pink beet smoothie from my book. Enjoy!
-A singular tree that grows 40 types of stone fruit?!
-The EU wants to ban the source causes of microplastic pollutants and stop the “spread to Earth’s peaks, depths, the Arctic and human bodies, where their health impacts are not yet fully understood.”
–Creating pantry space in small kitchens. This is the exact thing that I need help with right now. I store a lot of things that can be kept at room temperature in my fridge because I simply do not have the space otherwise.
-If you’re an omnivore that cares about animal welfare in agricultural operations, this thorough breakdown of terms like “pasture-raised,” “natural,” and more will be helpful the next time you find yourself at the supermarket.
-I’ve loved Garance Doré and her work for a long time. I think her’s was the first blog that I actually followed and cared about. Anyway, I still follow everything that she does and loved this response to a reader on how she takes care of her mental health.
-I love my early morning warm lemon water. I drink it every day without fail because hydration is key and it just feels nice first thing in the am. There are A LOT of willy-nilly health claims thrown around about this super simple beverage though. This piece investigates with not-so surprising results.
-I feel so much release and validation just reading this title: “Sheet Masks Are Gross.”
-Just a piglet drinking some milk :)
Beet and Blood Orange Spice Smoothie
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 medium beet, peeled and diced (see notes)
- 1 small blood orange, peeled and torn into segments (see notes about freezing)
- ½ ripe banana, preferably frozen
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- big squeeze of lemon juice
- ice (optional)
- In an upright blender, combine the non-dairy milk, diced beet, blood orange, banana, almond butter, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, salt, lemon juice, and ice (if using). Bring the speed up to high and blend until completely smooth. Enjoy the beet and blood orange spice smoothie immediately.
- Only use a raw beet if you have a high speed blender like a Vitamix.
- I love freezing my segments of citrus for smoothies because it adds to the frothy texture.
- Other add-ins that are great for rounding this smoothie out nutritionally: 1 teaspoon of flax/chia seeds, a big handful of mild greens like baby spinach, or a scoop of vegan protein powder.