Deep tropical vibes green smoothie is naturally sweet and refreshing. Kale hides within the tropical flavours of mango, coconut, and ginger.
Well, I’m incredibly relieved that the weekend is here! We had a jam-packed week that never seemed to let up. Deep exhales and gratitude for a couple slower days. Our Toronto Raptors have their first playoff game, we have a couple family get-togethers, Game of Thrones is back (!!), and we also have a big date with our backyard for some much-needed Spring cleanup. Hoping to mix some very cold beers into that last activity. It’ll all be over before we know it, so I’m going to savour this time.
I’ve got a super healthy smoothie recipe for you today, born out of my own deep personal need for some liquid vitality if I’m being honest. We spent a day in Toronto (seeing Ina Garten a.k.a. The Barefoot Contessa a.k.a. the popped collar connoisseur a.k.a. good vanilla ONLY a.k.a. How bad can that be?!), and indulged in all kinds of goodness–a great, super comfy dinner at Virtuous Pie and some take home confections from Soma. Leading up to that day, I was highly snack-y and just not as focused on eating actual meals with actual vegetables because I slipped into that more self-negligent mode of busyness. Here’s to getting it all back on track, right? Hope you try this bright green number. As usual, I’ve got a few great links for you to check out too :)
🖤 “Bok Choy Isn’t ‘Exotic'”
🖤 Maybe you’ve already seen it, but a black hole was captured for the very first time this week. Katie Bouman developed a key algorithm to stitch all of the data together to create the image. So cool!
🖤 Seeing this article gave me a weird sense of relief! That old episode of The Simpsons where Marge scores the Chanel suit at a good price and then re-works and re-sews it over and over again to fit in with a new group of friends. Just the notion of performing for people that you don’t even care about struck me, even as a kid.
🖤 Tax season and meditation go hand in hand. I’ve been using Insight Timer consistently since the start of this year, and would highly recommend it. Plus it’s free!
🖤 Since Ina is fresh on my mind, I’ll remind you of her appearance on Seth Meyers’ show where they do some day drinking.
🖤 A dog ran almost the entirety of the Marathon des Sables, a grueling 140 mile race that takes place in the desert of Morocco. Good boy!
🖤 So looking forward to listening to this interview with Eric Ripert on Pardon My French.
🖤 How do we free ourselves from the trope of “having it all,” or at least change the notion of it to accommodate the natural ebbs and flows of real human life?
🖤 “Success is, quite simply, knowing that opportunities will come and go, but that time is irreplaceable once it’s been spent.”
🖤 Julia’s account is one of my favourites on Instagram–her photos just feel very serene and calm. Love that she shared this foot bath recipe the other day. Think I might need it after a long day of garden-tending this weekend.
🖤 Finally, some goats on a slide :D
Deep Tropical Vibes Green Smoothie
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup coconut water
- ¼ cup plain coconut milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger juice (see notes)
- pinch sea salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 stalks of kale, chopped
- 1 ripe Ataulfo mango, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 ripe banana, preferably frozen
- ice (optional
- shredded coconut for topping (optional)
- If you’re sensitive to the taste of kale, I’d stick with two stalks only. I’d also throw a handful of ice into the smoothie as well. A colder temperature/frothier texture seems to knock out the hint of brassica.
- If you have a high speed blender, a 2-inch chunk of peeled ginger is fine (as opposed to juice). You could also finely grate it with a microplane if you have a normal blender.
- The best coconut milk yogurts (in my opinion) are Coyo or Anita’s.
- In an upright blender, combine the orange juice, coconut water, coconut milk yogurt, ginger juice, salt, vanilla, kale, chopped mango, banana, and ice (if using). Blend on high until creamy and smooth. Serve the deep tropical vibes green smoothie immediately with a sprinkle of shredded coconut on top if you like.