Thick peanut butter mocha smoothie is what healthy breakfast dreams are made of. Caffeine-boosted, vegan protein, hearty and chocolaty.
Hey happy weekend! I’m greeting it with a smoothie that has all of my morning necessities: caffeine, chocolate (!), oats, peanut butter, and a good bit of plant-based protein to keep me energized. Something about espresso in a healthy-ish smoothie feels so early 2000’s and I am unabashedly into it.
We have a pretty relaxed weekend lined up. I think we’re going to see Dumbo, which means I will be full-on sobbing in public at some point haha. Hopefully the rain lets up so we can take our furry companions out on a long hike. We’re also going to be busy booking and planning a trip to Seattle for June. If you have any recommendations (restaurants, shops, hotels, neighbourhoods, sights etc), please let me know in the comments!
Hope you get a chance to try this amazing mocha smoothie! If you’re into chocolate smoothies, check out this hazelnut chocolate one, this red velvet one with beets(!), or this mint chip espresso shake. Here’s a few articles, podcasts etc. that I enjoyed this week. Have a good one!
-We really blew it on arugula.
-Taking comfort in the familiar style and silhouette of “dad sneakers” in these chaotic times that we’re living in.
-I enjoyed this episode of the GOOP podcast quite a bit. Might be a little far out for some of you, but there are golden nuggets of inspiration in here. What you think = who you become.
–Can What We Eat Affect How We Feel?
-What it’s like to spend 24 hours in an air hanger-turned-tropical resort just outside of Berlin, complete with an “ocean” the size of 3 olympic swimming pools, a rainforest lagoon, and beach tent accommodations. Ridiculous as this attraction is, I kind of empathize with the writer’s motivation: “…winter sucks and a tropical air hanger seemed like the strangest way to deal with it.”
-Weird pet peeve files: I can’t stand flip flops.
-Having said that, I could probably be persuaded to wear them eventually.
-Reading this excerpt from Ruth Reichl’s latest memoir is wild. Lots of insight into the demise of Gourmet Magazine and how much their web presence (and the presence of another popular online food entity) had to do with it all. Juicy! A warning though: there is a segment that discusses goat butchery in a rather outright way near the end.
-It’s been a weird month for the vegan community.
-I am a MASSIVE fan of power couple Abby Wambach and Glennon Doyle. This forthright account of Abby’s financial life/slightly shortsighted retirement planning is candid, refreshing, and a great learning opportunity. Lots of surprising stuff in here too! “…80 percent of all professional male athletes go broke.”
-If you haven’t yet, listen to Glennon’s episode of SuperSoul Conversations. It’s the perfect dose of inspiration to carry you into next week.
Vegan Peanut Butter Mocha Smoothie
- ½ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- 1 ripe banana, preferably frozen
- 1 shot espresso
- ⅓ cup ice
- I like the extra chocolaty boost of cocoa, but if you have a super flavourful chocolate protein powder, feel free to skip it.
- No espresso? Double the amount of coffee, reduce the milk by a ¼ cup, aim for a frozen banana, and maybe add a bit more ice to keep that thickness intact.
- In an upright blender, combine the milk, protein powder, oats, cocoa powder, peanut butter, vanilla, salt, banana, espresso, and ice. Bring the speed of the blender up to high and continue to blend until totally smooth and creamy, about 30 seconds. Enjoy the peanut butter mocha smoothie immediately.