This simple spinach banana and ginger smoothie is so refreshing, satiating, easily customizable, and super quick to fix up on a busy morning or as a snack! I love a green smoothie with ginger, and the orange juice, frozen banana, vanilla, cinnamon, and a smidge of cayenne work so nicely as flavour compliments.
What kind of greens are best in a smoothie?
- My personal preference is baby spinach because it is so mild tasting. You can really pack a lot into a smoothie without noticing the taste.
I do a vegan green smoothie pretty much every morning, and this spinach banana and ginger smoothie one of my go-tos when I’m craving a more fruit and freshness-forward option. It’s not too sweet, and I love that it simply comes together with 10 ingredients in about 5 minutes; all with the power of your blender! If you’re feeling a bit lazy and wondering if you can eat the skin of ginger–you can! I often just chuck a little piece into the blender, unpeeled. It makes no difference in the final taste.
Can you freeze spinach for smoothies?
- Yes you can, and there are two straightforward options below.
- The first is to simple transfer baby spinach to a sealable bag and freeze it as-is. Press as much air out of the bag as you can before placing in the freezer. This option will keep for 6 months and take up a bit more space in your freezer.
- The second option is to steam or boil the spinach until it is soft and bright green. From here, you’ll drain it and bundle it all up in a clean kitchen towel. Gather up the edges of the towel and squeeze out as much moisture as you can. From here, arrange clumps of squeezed spinach out on a baking sheet and transfer to the freezer. Once the clumps are frozen solid, transfer them to a sealable bag for up to 6 months!
This spinach banana & ginger smoothie is naturally nut-free and soy-free, in addition to being vegan. If you don’t enjoy bananas in your smoothies, I recommend substituting an equal amount of either frozen ripe pear, frozen peaches, or even frozen avocado if you’re trying to bring the sugar down. All options work great with the other ingredients.
The Best Vegan Protein
I recommend boosting this smoothie with Sprout Living’s Epic Protein in the Vanilla Lucuma flavour! Not overly sweet, mixes in silky smooth, and it has great ingredients. Use code: thefirstmess for 20% off!
5-Minute Spinach Banana & Ginger Smoothie
- 1 cup orange juice
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 2- inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- pinch sea salt
- pinch cayenne (optional)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 ripe banana, preferably frozen
- Because I call for 2 packed cups, super mild baby spinach is my preferred green for this smoothie.
- You could substitute the banana with a handful of frozen pineapple or mango, or even some frozen avocado if you want to bring the sugar down a bit.
- In an upright blender, combine the orange juice, lemon juice, ginger, protein powder, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, cayenne, baby spinach, and the frozen banana. Bring the blender’s speed up to high and run until liquid is completely smooth. Enjoy immediately.